Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to time a 1989 2.3L tempo engine?

fomoco1912
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
I would like to know where are the timing marks on a 2.3L tempo engine or how can I time it if I know where top dead center is ? Also what is the gap on the spark plugs?

tempfixit
04-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I would like to know where are the timing marks on a 2.3L tempo engine or how can I time it if I know where top dead center is ? Also what is the gap on the spark plugs?

quote(
Timing is checked by using a timing light that triggers in relation to spark firing. This flashing light in turn is then pointed toward timing marks on the exterior of the engine to determine relative timing condition. The timing is advanced or retarded by turning the distributor. This turning of the distributor effects the rate at which the spark plugs fire. The timing marks on gasoline Tempo/Topaz engines can be found on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley, located on the right side of the engine, as well as through a hole on the transmission case. Before attempting to adjust the engine timing, make sure these timing marks are clean and easy to read.) quote

NOTE: The correct spark plug gap is 0.039–0.043 in. (1.0–1.09mm)
i got this info from my local library website that has EBSCOHOST with ARRC( Auto Repair Reference Center ) check your local library.

You could also register at www.autozone.com (http://www.autozone.com) for the repair guides, it is free also.

Hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!