Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

why is my gas going so fast!!!!

gyohe
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a carbureted 1983 toyota celica and cant figure out why my gas is going so fast should it just be adjusted ?
iam not sure because this is my first carbureted car is this normal ?:runaround:

Brian R.
03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Choke may be stuck closed. May be an internal leak in carburetor, dripping into intake manifold. Fuel level in float bowl may need to be adjusted. Float valve may not be seating, causing overflow into intake runners.

gyohe
03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
would all those problems be fixed with a carb rebuild? and are you familiar with the 22r engine are these good engines ? mine has a slight tick to it that ive heard is common ...any truth to that?

Brian R.
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
A carb rebuild would solve everything except a stuck choke, which may well be a problem with mechanism for closing/opening the choke. There are many potential ways of causing a choke to stick, but they are all pretty easy to fix. They are just cleaning procedures.

A tick is nothing to worry about. It is probably just a lifter needs adjusting.

gyohe
04-02-2012, 10:44 AM
when was trying to locate the tick on my 22r i noticed that it was coming from the exhaust manifold then i noticed that i was missing a stud from the lower front end. could this be why my car ticks when i exel? oh and i dont think the bolt broke off so when i go to replace it is there anything i should know?

Brian R.
04-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Torque it correctly and put antiseize compound on the threads.

Add your comment to this topic!