Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 impala electric door locks

lnewcomer
03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
My 2002 impala electric door locks stopped working. I have checked the fuses, and checked the votage at the doors, it seems to be fine. The key fob doesnt work, the shift doesnt lock the doors , and they dont unlock in park, and the toggle switches on the front doors have no effect. I have a Hanes manual, but the schematic doesnt match the color coding for my car,( they say "orange" I have "black and orange", they say "tan" I have "black and white".
Can any one help?
Thanks in advance

la1
04-01-2012, 08:40 PM
i don't think it is wiring if they all do not work. might be the BCM. The door lock signals originate from the BMC. If it is wiring more lilely from the PCM to the BCM. The BCM is right under the steering wheel colum, you have to take off that peice of plastic that goes across the has the curtosy light on it....make sure all the connectors are on.

barty
09-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Just curious if anyone has a good solution for this as my 2002 impala just started exhibiting the same thing. One exception mine is somewhat intermittent. Sometimes shifting it in and out of park will get it working and sometimes shifting in and out of park door locks won't work either. But if they don't unlock with the Key fob they won't unloac with the door switches either. I have power at the fuse the whole time wiring seems all good. Is this likely the BCM? If so is does this need to be replaced by the dealer?

Tech II
09-28-2012, 02:39 PM
As la1 said, your only recourse is two things.....disconnect the battery cables(negative first), and then disconnect the harnesses to the BCM....check for corrosion or loose connections(perform drag test).....if ok, with both positive and negative cables disconnected, hold the ends together for one minute.....this helps to reset all modules......

Now reconnect the battery cables, attach pos first...now operate your door locks......

Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting, can solve the problem....if it lasts for just a short time, it's possible it's a connection that just barely passed the drag test.....otherwise it's the BCM.....Usually a "U" code(communication) is set.....unfortunately, if you need a new BCM, they have to be "programmed" by a GM dealership....

barty
09-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks I will try that and get back.

barty
10-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Updated status: Disconnnected battery cables, removed BCM (to left of brake pedal) Disconnected conectors and inspected. BCM looks good, wiring looks good, and PIN's are all fullly seated and engaged in connector no corrosion all looks like it just came off the assembly line. I was not able to do a drag test as I did not have the proper size Pin to insert and test. I reconnected BCM and then Battery so far so good door locks are working fine. If problem reappears I will update otherwise consider it resolved.

Add your comment to this topic!