Page updated on 11-19-2017

removing paint from resin

guiwee
03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
hi guys .....i just got my hobby design novatech rossi 458transkit and have a couple questions??.....how do you remove paint from the resin pieces....in my rush to tryout my new airbrush i just cleaned the parts with soap and water..let dry..and painted alclad gloss blk...lo and behold i have fisheyes...i know what caused them but how to remove paint.....will lacquer thinner melt plastic or soften...my first time working with resin also..knew i shoulda primed...lol....any tips or help would be appreciated!!!!

RonCla
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
I removed the paint off a Fisher resin body once by just wiping it with off with a cloth soaked in lacquer thinners. It had no effect on the resin at all.

On another occasion I soaked some Replicas & Miniatures resin parts in 99% Isopropyl alcohol over night and the parts were like soft rubber the next day.

What ever you use proceed with caution and test a small area first by soaking a Q tip in your solvent of choice and just rubbing a small area to see what effect it will have.

andybmw7272
03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I think the real questions before anything is what kind of paint are you stripping?

subway80
03-28-2012, 01:02 PM
I have used EZ Off oven cleaner and had no problems.

360spider
03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Lacquer thinner - just soak a rag and wipe it off.
DON'T use brake fluid or Castrol super clean - it will ruin the resin.

Lambo003
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I use Pine-Sol to safely strip paint from resins and plastics . . .

Submerge the entire part, wait for the coating to wrinkle up and it will practically fall off by itself.

Any remaining bits in body lines and such can be flicked off with a toothpick.

Even works on prepainted diecast and used it as a safe alternative to stripping Pocher Ferrari kits.

Also, while it does work with Tamiya paints. It turns the coating into a gooey mess. Use disposable brushes and whatnot . . . cuz they're going to be junk and hard as rock when they dry. . .

Add your comment to this topic!