Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 K3500 7.4L Hard start

ken_man_1
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Checked fuel pressure, it's at about 62 cold

Will crank like normal, start - stop. Runs for less than a second. After a few tries, let it sit for a few minutes, it will start right up.

Tuned about 7 months ago, only 2500 on the tune.

Not sure what next, there are no codes. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking and thinking!!

j cAT
03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Checked fuel pressure, it's at about 62 cold

Will crank like normal, start - stop. Runs for less than a second. After a few tries, let it sit for a few minutes, it will start right up.

Tuned about 7 months ago, only 2500 on the tune.

Not sure what next, there are no codes. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking and thinking!!

when the engine starts and quickly stalls this is usually the security system. key/bcm issues etc..

turn the key to ignition on engine OFF for 10 minutes. then turn key to OFF.

this may reset the key/vehicle communication. then try to start . if it continues to start normal, after this proceedure you are lucky.

ken_man_1
03-28-2012, 07:16 AM
this may reset the key/vehicle communication. then try to start . if it continues to start normal, after this proceedure you are lucky.

The truck doesn't have a chipped key, I'm more than sure.

Some days it will do it, most of the time it won't. Very very intermittent.

As a maintenance issue (I don't drive the truck myself), what can I do to resolve it? I'd rather spend a few bones permanently repairing the problem than letting it go with a crew and it being unreliable :)

Thanks again j cAT.

j cAT
03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
The truck doesn't have a chipped key, I'm more than sure.

Some days it will do it, most of the time it won't. Very very intermittent.

As a maintenance issue (I don't drive the truck myself), what can I do to resolve it? I'd rather spend a few bones permanently repairing the problem than letting it go with a crew and it being unreliable :)

Thanks again j cAT.

some 1990's vehicles had a visible resistor in the key. then this was changed where the key head which is much larger , this then has a device that comunicates with the BCM. if you have a security amber light then this is the pass lock system. try what I stated before and post back what happened.

ken_man_1
03-28-2012, 12:34 PM
some 1990's vehicles had a visible resistor in the key. then this was changed where the key head which is much larger , this then has a device that comunicates with the BCM. if you have a security amber light then this is the pass lock system. try what I stated before and post back what happened.

Will do. I have had spares cut for the truck in the past, they were for sure NOT pass lock keys. These are the narrow keys. However, even the narrow keys can still be pass lock, I know. They're usually labeled PK3 or something to that effect. Let you know tomorrow.

Add your comment to this topic!