Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis, fluid in crankcase

SilverStarr1
03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
While driving my car I noticed my temp gauge was above normal and climbing when I stopped and checked the overflow it was empty I filled it back up I did not see any leaks anywhere I drove my car through neighborhood short distance returned home checked the overflow again and once again it was very low. I pulled the dip stick and there is visably fluid from the radiator in the crankcase. I find no indications of any visable leaks my car starts properly and runs smoothly, anyone have any suggestions on where my next step in determining what is causing this problem, my car has never severely overheated, no smoke or moisture out the tailpipe?

Blue)(Fusion
03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
It is either a freeze plug or a head gasket failure. My money would be on the freeze plug if the engine did infact never overheat. Stop driving it until it is fixed and you have flushed the crankcase of all coolant contaminants. There are abrasives in there and they WILL destroy your bearings.

tempfixit
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
It is either a freeze plug or a head gasket failure. My money would be on the freeze plug if the engine did infact never overheat. Stop driving it until it is fixed and you have flushed the crankcase of all coolant contaminants. There are abrasives in there and they WILL destroy your bearings.

I would do a clyinder leak down test to see if you have blown head or intake gasket. You could also try a coolant system pressure test to see if you can located a external leak. WHen you have the coolant resorvoir to correct level do you see bubbles in the coolant while engine was running.

Like Blue Fussion mentioned do not drive as the anti-freeze will destry the bearings.

Add your comment to this topic!