Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4l80e no upshift 1995

Vanfan
03-23-2012, 08:39 PM
1995 Chev 3500 6.5 t.d 4w.d. 4 door. On my way to Church the other night I slowed to get off one highway only to enter another, My rpms went way up as if I down shifted but stayed there. I got off the road, checked the tranny fluid and all was good. Turned the truck off for five minutes and restarted down the road only to have it still not shift outta what feels like second cause I can drive 30 mph at around 3,000 rpm or less. I pulled it in the shop and checked all the fuses, checked to make sure nothing came unplugged, dropped the tranny pan and replaced the 2-3 shift solonoid, changed the filter and put it all back together. The batteries were disconnected as I did all this. Still no upshift. Back in the shop, I checked all the grounds and cleaned them all were good. I have a cheap obd1 scanner and scanned it and got.
DTC 87
My biggest regret is not replacing the 1-2 shift solonoid since I was in there, but im wondering if that may even be the problem now. I have heard of the ignitions going bad on the 95 rigs and occasionally I do have to cycle the key two or three times to get the starter to turn, sometimes I just get a click, re cycle the key the bam! it turns the starter. The A.B.S. light has been on six months or so and wont go out but It never bothered me not having functioning A.B.S. brakes. No matter what I do I cannot get the Trans to upshift. Im leaning away from the V.S.S. because I have a perfectly functioning speedometer. Ive looked all over the web and found some very similar stories and issues but no answers to there fix if they ever did get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated

j cAT
03-24-2012, 08:04 AM
replace both the solenoids not just one. if one is worn/defective the other is not much better. about 25.oo ea.

the ignition switch the abs are other issues. I would replace the switch. not good for the electrical components a surging electrical supply voltage/power.

MT-2500
03-24-2012, 08:18 AM
1995 Chev 3500 6.5 t.d 4w.d. 4 door. On my way to Church the other night I slowed to get off one highway only to enter another, My rpms went way up as if I down shifted but stayed there. I got off the road, checked the tranny fluid and all was good. Turned the truck off for five minutes and restarted down the road only to have it still not shift outta what feels like second cause I can drive 30 mph at around 3,000 rpm or less. I pulled it in the shop and checked all the fuses, checked to make sure nothing came unplugged, dropped the tranny pan and replaced the 2-3 shift solonoid, changed the filter and put it all back together. The batteries were disconnected as I did all this. Still no upshift. Back in the shop, I checked all the grounds and cleaned them all were good. I have a cheap obd1 scanner and scanned it and got.
DTC 87
My biggest regret is not replacing the 1-2 shift solonoid since I was in there, but im wondering if that may even be the problem now. I have heard of the ignitions going bad on the 95 rigs and occasionally I do have to cycle the key two or three times to get the starter to turn, sometimes I just get a click, re cycle the key the bam! it turns the starter. The A.B.S. light has been on six months or so and wont go out but It never bothered me not having functioning A.B.S. brakes. No matter what I do I cannot get the Trans to upshift. Im leaning away from the V.S.S. because I have a perfectly functioning speedometer. Ive looked all over the web and found some very similar stories and issues but no answers to there fix if they ever did get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Code 97 is for speed sensor problem.
It uses 2 or more speed sensors.

Clear codes and disconnct the neg battery cable for a few minutes.

Drive and see what codes come back.
If code 87 come back reair code with code 87 repair flow chart.

Can be found in a all data DIY subscription.

Vanfan
03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
???? ???? ???? ????? ?????? ????? ?????
????? ?????? ?????? ?????? ??????

This has me confused, can you clarify this please... I will clear the codes again later this afternoon and let you know what comes back.

MT-2500
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
???? ???? ???? ????? ?????? ????? ?????
????? ?????? ?????? ?????? ??????

This has me confused, can you clarify this please... I will clear the codes again later this afternoon and let you know what comes back.

All good repair information programs have repair flow charts for codes.

Like mitchell repair and All data and Chltion repair manuals.

The repair flow charts telles you step by step how to repair the code.

Vanfan
03-24-2012, 08:40 PM
disconnected battery and reconnected battery, drove around the block and got DTC 78,81,82,83

MT-2500
03-24-2012, 11:06 PM
disconnected battery and reconnected battery, drove around the block and got DTC 78,81,82,83
Around the block is not driving it enought.
Clear codes and drive 5-10 miles.

Then post back what codes you get.

Vanfan
03-25-2012, 04:30 PM
At 25-30 m.p.h. Im not hurting the tranny am I????

j cAT
03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
At 25-30 m.p.h. Im not hurting the tranny am I????

I did some extra work just for you. since I am no expert with this 1995 vehicle I found that the transmission is not getting any power[voltage] there fore no upshifting. that is what the codes all say.

replace the ignition switch like I stated in my reply the other day.

Vanfan
03-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I did some extra work just for you. since I am no expert with this 1995 vehicle I found that the transmission is not getting any power[voltage] there fore no upshifting. that is what the codes all say.

replace the ignition switch like I stated in my reply the other day.

Even with voltage to the fuses with the key in the run position??

j cAT
03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Even with voltage to the fuses with the key in the run position??

I found a guy wth your issue. same codes and ignition switch intermittent. this is how it was repaired. when the voltage jumps around this then shuts down upshifting. must be a common problem with these 1995 vehicles.

jrecken
04-03-2012, 02:13 AM
WOW, I had the same problem with my 95 K2500 and it cost me $2200 for a trans rebuild. Did I get taken ?
I was 200 miles from home at the time.

MT-2500
04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
WOW, I had the same problem with my 95 K2500 and it cost me $2200 for a trans rebuild. Did I get taken ?
I was 200 miles from home at the time.

To late to worry about spiled milk.

We have no idea or any way of telling you what it needed.

If it needed rebuilt and they done a good job then you are in good shape.

Vanfan
03-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Replaced the ignition switch and neutral safety switch, replaced both the batteries and cleaned all the grounds. Still wont upshift. not throwing a check engine light anymore either

j cAT
03-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Replaced the ignition switch and neutral safety switch, replaced both the batteries and cleaned all the grounds. Still wont upshift. not throwing a check engine light anymore either

ok so now , no codes same no upshift you replaced both the a/b valves ? how does it start now ? check for proper voltage at the tranny check the tranny electrical connector .

Vanfan
03-19-2015, 02:50 PM
heading back out To the truck right after lunch to go over all the electrical connections and check for proper voltage . Truck runs great after sitting for three years, fired right up, just wont shift. I Will let you know what i find

j cAT
03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
heading back out To the truck right after lunch to go over all the electrical connections and check for proper voltage . Truck runs great after sitting for three years, fired right up, just wont shift. I Will let you know what i find

surprised your still hanging in there ....with the bad ignition switch it must run better with the proper voltage... it sure can be those electrical s at the tranny connector...not something that has never occured before , both the switch and those tranny electricals...

post back ..

Vanfan
03-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Checked votage at the trans connector had 12 vots, pink wire. Pulled the pan and ohm checked the 1/2 solenoid =21 ohms, 2/3 solenoid =20 ohms, pressure controle solenoid=4ohms, TCC solenoid=10 ohms.

j cAT
03-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Checked voltage at the trans connector had 12 volts, pink wire. Pulled the pan and ohm checked the 1/2 solenoid =21 ohms, 2/3 solenoid =20 ohms, pressure controle solenoid=4ohms, TCC solenoid=10 ohms.

try to measure from the tranny connector to the solenoids for continuity. the connector has had failures or poor connections.

j cAT
03-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Checked votage at the trans connector had 12 vots, pink wire. Pulled the pan and ohm checked the 1/2 solenoid =21 ohms, 2/3 solenoid =20 ohms, pressure controle solenoid=4ohms, TCC solenoid=10 ohms.

so now you have only first and reverse correct ?

Vanfan
03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
It feels like second. I can get up to 30 mph or so, let off the gas and it will coast down in speed, the tach goes down to nothing unless i give it fuel again, then the tach jumps up in rpm, speed comes up. Let off the fuel and it will coast down in speed again..and yes, i still have reverse

Vanfan
03-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Put all the connections back together and cleaned up all the grounds I could find. Reconnected the batteries and just for fun, checked for any hidden DTC's. Got 81,82,83. I haven't even started or drove the truck, the tranny pan is still laying on the ground. Disconnected both the batteries and cleaned up some more wiring and tools that are spread about. Connected the two batteries again, and still got 81,82,83 truck not running or rolling. I'm at a loss. I find it hard that both shift solenoids and TCC are all smoked when they ohm out within specs.

Vanfan
03-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Shifting gears again!! If my wife hadn't of jumped in the truck to cycle the key for me I would still be out there banging my head against the tranny. I was probing the pink wire at the transmission connection one last time just to make sure I had 12+ volts going to the tranny as I always had. When my wife jumped in the drivers seat I shuffled over under the truck and moved the connector and my volt meter and the voltage dropped. Thinking that my ground was just bumped, I readjusted myself, the connector and my volt meter leads and sure enough, it read 9 volts. I pushed the connector back an inch and it read 12 + volts. I removed the wire loom about 6 inches worth and followed the pink wire up, no rubs, no breaks. I pinched the pink wire between my fingers and gave it a snug pull, beginning at the connector, and working my way up the wire. Sure enough, about 5 inches up, the wire snapped in my fingers. Like I said, there was no rub, or cut in the insulation, just enough holding on in there to make 12 volts when held in one direction, and 9 volts in another like when it was plugged in. Spliced the wire together and checked all the others, put her back together and took her out for a spin. Sure is nice having my pickup back. Thanks to everyone who has helped, and a huge shout out to j cat who stuck with me for three years now!!!

j cAT
03-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Shifting gears again!! If my wife hadn't of jumped in the truck to cycle the key for me I would still be out there banging my head against the tranny. I was probing the pink wire at the transmission connection one last time just to make sure I had 12+ volts going to the tranny as I always had. When my wife jumped in the drivers seat I shuffled over under the truck and moved the connector and my volt meter and the voltage dropped. Thinking that my ground was just bumped, I readjusted myself, the connector and my volt meter leads and sure enough, it read 9 volts. I pushed the connector back an inch and it read 12 + volts. I removed the wire loom about 6 inches worth and followed the pink wire up, no rubs, no breaks. I pinched the pink wire between my fingers and gave it a snug pull, beginning at the connector, and working my way up the wire. Sure enough, about 5 inches up, the wire snapped in my fingers. Like I said, there was no rub, or cut in the insulation, just enough holding on in there to make 12 volts when held in one direction, and 9 volts in another like when it was plugged in. Spliced the wire together and checked all the others, put her back together and took her out for a spin. Sure is nice having my pickup back. Thanks to everyone who has helped, and a huge shout out to j cat who stuck with me for three years now!!!

you had me worried with this . thought maybe I caused you much false info concerning this issue , your problem is again quite common , and now the new ignition switch and the wiring repaired ,, you should be good ..
thanks for reporting back .. this will help many that have these vehicles with this issue .good luck.

PEI Josh
07-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Im having the same problem with my truck. Its a 95 k2500 with the 4l80e trans. What plug were you testing for voltage on the trans when you found the broken wire? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Vanfan
07-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Main plug on side of trans.

PEI Josh
07-20-2015, 01:18 PM
The round one on driver side above where the shifter goes into trans and back a bit?

Vanfan
07-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Yep, that's the one. Pull it off and pull back the wire loom 5 or 6 inches. Probe the pink wire on the connector side and look for voltage. Follow the pink wire up the harness and look for breaks in the line. Did you check your "trans fuse"?

PEI Josh
07-20-2015, 01:26 PM
yes checked it its fine. what voltage should the pink wire have?

Vanfan
07-20-2015, 01:44 PM
12 volts at least. I'm not a tranny guy, just a back yard wrench turner. Found my issue by dumb luck. Keep me posted I'll help as much as I can.

PEI Josh
07-20-2015, 02:07 PM
ok thanks and I will give an update on wednesday

PEI Josh
07-21-2015, 03:29 PM
i found two pink wires one had 12 and change volts and the other read 11.92 could that be my problem?

Vanfan
07-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Did you wiggle the harness around and make sure it didn't drop? Pull the wire loom back and follow each wire up looking for rub marks or cuts. Check and clean all the grounds including the batteries.

PEI Josh
07-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Turned the key on and off a couple times nothing changed checked my grounds too they don't look too bad could the problem be in the comp? Sometimes it will shift and if you shut key off it won't shift again

Vanfan
07-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Could be. No matter what I did I couldn't get mine to shift due to the lack of voltage to the tranny. Sounds like you have a different issue than I did. I would keep researching through the forumns and look for others that have had similar shift/no shift issues that closely relate to yours.

Add your comment to this topic!