Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing!! ugh please help

cajf46
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok so I just bought this car, 1993 pontiac grand am se, from a neighbor. When I test drove it, the back seat was all unscrewed so I thought no biggie and it drove really nice for being a 1993. Ended up buying the car. I get the car home, husband puts seats back together and we go to leave for town and the fuel pump fuse blew. Put a new one in, go to start the car, fuse blows again! Tow the car home. Husband checks the wires to make sure there is no faulty wires. Has to reground the ground wire. Car then starts. Go to drive down my driveway and the dang fuse blew again! Mind you there is a new fuel pump in the car so we know this isnt what is wrong with it. Someone PLEASE help figure this out I'm very desperate but will not take to a garage because they have told the neighbor repeatedly that it was fixed.:uhoh:

thephantom1492
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Don't eliminate the new fuel pump right away. New parts are always suspect.

But I would check the wiring, there is a chance that it was wrongly routed and got pinched somewhere. Might have to remove the tank to check it up.

cajf46
03-24-2012, 07:00 AM
we went out yesterday and bought yet again another fuel pump and it still blew the fuse. husband is going to rip the dash apart to see if there is a bad wire running through there as we havent found a bad one anywhere yet. any other suggestions?

Tech II
03-24-2012, 07:53 AM
husband is going to rip the dash apart to see if there is a bad wire running through there as we havent found a bad one anywhere yet. any other suggestions?

Well, I wouldn't be ripping the dash apart.....

You had to drop the tank to put the new fuel pump in.....did you check the wiring harness, as thePhantom suggested, to see if the wiring was up against any sharp edges? Did you do an ohm check from the external connector to the pump, while flexing the harness?

Funny, the vehicle was ok, until you put the back seat in?

but will not take to a garage because they have told the neighbor repeatedly that it was fixed.:uhoh:

So it was blowing a fuse before you bought it, and their fix was to put a fuel pump in? And it still was blowing, but you bought it anyway?

Does the fuse blow as soon as you turn the key to on? Or while cranking?

If it does, then disconnect the fuel pump harness, and crank the vehicle over several times to see if the fuse blows....if it doesn't, then hook the harness back up.....now crank it and see if it blows....if it does, you've narrowed down the problem area....

mattrock911
12-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I have the same car with the same problem. Didn't start blowing fuseS till the new pump was out in. Would love to know how you fixed it. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!