Page updated on 11-18-2017

Need a good color\mix for Porsche fiberglass

ianc911
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a good paint color or mixture to replicate Porsche's vintage fiberglass cooling fans\engine shrouding\intake stacks, like pictured here:

http://www.slickpic.com/photo/share/YIE2NOEM4MNDNM/800/p/675422.jpg

I can really only get Tamiya and Testor's paints locally; nobody seems to stock Humbrol or Gunze Sangyo in this area. I've tried a bunch of mixtures, but nothing really seems to look right after it's dried. Does anybody have any secret recipe they want to share with me?

Thanks a bunch,

ianc

Edited to include a comparison pic with the fan painted with Tamiya's Desert Yellow XF-59, with just a little Flat Yellow XF-3 added:

http://www.slickpic.com/photo/share/NDNjiNNkOTgUDm/800/p/746175.jpg

MPWR
03-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I would do a neutral tan color (like XF buff or dark yellow) mixed with some medium grey. After that to simulate the translucent resiney finish, I'd spray it with a good coat of gloss clear or two (or maybe even some clear smoke), and then finish it with a light dusting of clear flat.

ianc911
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have the buff and dark yellow, along with deck tan which I've tried some combinations with, but just haven't been able to come up with anything that resembles that subtle kind of 'golden' look which I've seen some others on here get. Whenever I see a good one, I always try to write them and ask, but no one ever answers... :(

ianc

rallymaster
03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
If you can put your hands on Citadel colors try to mix "bubonic brown" and 'bleached bone", should be convincing.
Maybe some flesh color in figurines color range could be a base for a mix too.

MPWR
03-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Fiberglass parts like this have a unique appearance more because of their finish than their color. They have a waxy kind of a sheen and an almost translucent look to them because of the resin they're cast in. So to simulate them, it is in a sense less important what color you paint them as what you might spray over that base color. Without any matrix in it, fiberglass resin is a honey/amber color. In scale, a darker clear color like orange or smoke may add a bit more look of depth. Finishing with a light overspray of clear flat should get it close the the waxy semi-gloss surface look. :2cents:

ianc911
03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about the finish of the part. I have experimented with some MicroScale flat and satin finishes over my color mixes which seem to work well, but the colors I'm using are just not convincing...

Thanks for suggestion on the Citadel colors, but I've never seen them available locally I'm afraid...

ianc

GirchyGirchy
03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
For texture try this:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=438245

ianc911
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
For texture try this

Yep, seen that; pretty sweet.

What color do you paint it when you're done though? :)

ianc

rallymaster
03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about the finish of the part. I have experimented with some MicroScale flat and satin finishes over my color mixes which seem to work well, but the colors I'm using are just not convincing...

Thanks for suggestion on the Citadel colors, but I've never seen them available locally I'm afraid...

ianc

Citadel colors are available at Games Workshop stores, they may be located almost everywhere, I mean countries, so I would be surprised they would be absent from a main country.

But if you really want to try them but have problems to find them, I can supply them for you, there are easy to find here and two or three pots can be shipped in a single bubble wrap for not much more than a coffee ! :)
I already send some to other modelers, some even ignoring that color range and brand, and nobody has been dissapointed with them.

I would need to try some possible combinations with Citadel colors to confirm the best choice to replicate fiber glass, but as already said fiber glass look isn't only a color question anyway...

lemansnut
03-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I've had pretty good results by starting with a light tan base color like sand. Then dry brush some streaks in both a lighter and darker color. Finally make a mix of clear yellow and clear orange and spray until the desired depth is achieved. If you have the June 2010 issue of Scale Auto magazine I show it on the Tamiya Porsche 910 I did for the article.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/lemansnutmike/IMG_4686.jpg

Mike

ianc911
03-26-2012, 05:00 PM
After yet another trip to the local hobby shop, I think I may have stumbled on something. What finally seems like a good combination is Tamiya's Desert Yellow XF-59, with just a little Flat Yellow XF-3 added. This seems to give that yellowy honey amber kind of color that I was looking for but just couldn't seem to duplicate. Initial results are positive although not definitive yet. No pics Yet I'm afraid, but I will try to post something when I have something finished to show.

Mike, thanks for the info. I would love to check out that article since I have the Tamiya 910 in my stash, but I'm not a Scale Auto subscriber. I think I tried it once, but there were an overwhelming number of American car articles and very few European sports cars, so it didn't have much interest for me. Is there anyway I could view it online that you know of? Thanks again all,

ianc

Archibaldi
03-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Hello there !
Recently I've make my own investigation on a similar task - how to paint a rear wheel arches on a Peugeot 405 T16 GR.
What did i found is a Mr. hobby Tan (H-27).

ianc911
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Just a bump after editing the first post with a comparison pic,

ianc

Add your comment to this topic!