Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing A 4L60E

Mic1980
03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi guys I'm replacing a 4L60E on my brothers 96 chevy blazer. I had a few questions. I been researching every where on the net for tips. I had to take the tranny out and put it back in 3 times already just to triple check everything.

Anyways my questions:
1.) If I'm replacing the same tranny as the old one there should be no need for spacers between the torque converter to the driveplate I'm assuming, is this correct?

because I read a few installation guides saying to add washers if the dimensions between the torque converter are to far apart. Which In my case I don't think they are but I'm just being cautious.

2.)I didn't add a quart of Tranny fluid in the converter but when I pushed it side to side and back and forth I heard fluid inside can I get away with this?

3.) I'm confused on how much Tranny fluid is to add since the book has 2 different amounts. Book says capacity 12qt's and under it says 5qts or 5 1/2 qts how much should I put to start?

4.) last question is when I seated the torque converter I made sure it was seated all the way hearing 2 clunks while turning it. Somehow it feels like something is not right because it turns freely but It's like I can feel something in the back of the torque converter rubbing while I turn it, has anyone delt with something like that before? keep in mind when I did this the tranny was on a jack and it was tilting downwards to the ground ass end of it.

Any help would be great thank you AF...

goser
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
1) You shouldn't have to add spacers, but the measurement should also fall within spec.

2) Assuming the torque convertor was in use previously you should be fine. Get the fluid level up quick though as there is the risk of damage if it runs 'dry'.

3) Got me on this one. What does the owner's manual say? Did '96 have shallow and deep trans pans? Start witht the low amount; if it reads well above the hot mark on the dipstick with the engine off then do a cold fluid level check and adjust as necessary. When you're happy with the results do a hot level check and adjust as necessary. Bring trans fluid with you on the drive. You will probably have to check the level a few times as the torque convertor fills up.

4) That rubbing is normal, it is the torque convertor rubbing the back of the bellhousing. When it bolts up to the flywheel it will pull forward to the right spot (assuming the dimensions were good from #1)

Hope that helps a little, good luck

Mic1980
03-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the reply everything is working fine so far. And I'm up to 8 1/2 qts of dexron 3 on the blazer and it's still low

Add your comment to this topic!