Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replacing seatbelt on 93 lumina

gw84
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I made a similar thread about this already but the replies didn't help me at all. The passenger side seatbelt is stuck all the way out. I've removed the door trim (as much as I can being as the seatbelt goes thru it) I assume I have to replace everything including the piece that holds the top of the seatbelt above the pass side window? How do I remove this part of the seatbelt? It's all plastic as far as i can see. I've yanked on the sucker many times and it will not budge, it's stuck all the way out. Very unsafe and very illegal i'm sure. I cant find any "how to" videos on youtube, which was very disappointing as well

gmtech1
03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
There is a cover on the upper corner piece that comes off, an 18mm nut on a stud under it. I think its the side toward the window that comes off.

gw84
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
There is a cover on the upper corner piece that comes off, an 18mm nut on a stud under it. I think its the side toward the window that comes off.
you sir are absolutely correct, that's what it was. Only problem is I couldn't get that nut off to save my life, as I turned the wrench, so did the seatbelt so I had to try to hold it in place and turn the wrench, no luck with that SO...I had a friend try to hold the seatbelt while I turned the wrench, no luck, I think I needed a clamp. The final outcome was a stripped nut.

And the update is this, I got bored today at the house and figured I'd try to take the seatbelt assembly apart, not too hard, a few star-screws, clips, etc, only to find a quarter...a freakin quarter in there holding the seatbelt in place (keeping it from retracting) wow I wasted a lot of energy for nothing!

gw84
04-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Another question about this 'issue' if i may, There are 2 retractors (1 on top and one for the bottom) that hold the seatbelt tight. I found out why the bottom wasn't retracting and fixed that problem, now I'm noticing that the top isn't retracting all the way (there's about 4-5 inches of slack in the belt where it's supposed to retract all the way at the top. Is there anything I can do to get it to go back in all the way (at the top)? Is there a spring or something I can replace?

gmtech1
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice find on the quarter! As far as a second "retractor", I'm not sure what you mean. There is only on belt on the door, so the only retractor is the one on the bottom, but it's been a long time since I've been inside one of those doors. Could you post a pic?

I remember now, yeah, one retractor on the top of the door and one on the bottom. I suppose you could try and dissaseble like you did the bottom one and see If there is a problem you can easily fix. If not, you're gonna need a belt assy.

Add your comment to this topic!