Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Grand marquis braking problems

pendemic
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
so i changed the rear brakes on my car, then replaced the front caliper because i pumped the brakes to much and the cup came out so i replaced the whole thing. well now i have to step all the way down on my brakes before i can stop. i have pulled into a dry place to see if i have a broke line and cant find it. i have pumped the brakes mulitple times to build pressure but when i put it in reverse or drive it doesnt do any good. i have just bleed both sides with no difference when i pumped the brakes. am i not pumping long enough or did i miss a step.:banghead: :frown:

82Stang
03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Pumping brakes would not allow a caliper piston to come out UNLESS it was pumped while off of the caliper braket. If that was the case, replacing was the proper thing to do.

For the low brake pedal, air must still be in the system. Generally bleeding brakes, one starts with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder. Some cars may differ from this though and checking a service repair manual for proper procedure, would be wise. You'll need to either have an assistant in the vehicle pumping the brake while you work the bleeder OR use a handheld vacuum pump OR use a one man bleeder kit OR power bleed the system. Keep the master cylinder full while doing this, if not and the master goes low, you may have to bleed that also. And that is a little more of a pain.

pendemic
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Thats why i replaced the caliper piston is because i was pumping the front brakes after i took brakes off. took my mind off what i was doing and the piston caliper basically fell out. after HOURS of try to fit it back into the gasket, broke that one, bought a new one, then broke that one also. i just gave up and went to get a whole caliper.

more than likely your right, i pumped my brakes until it was completely(very bad idea) then had my neighbor pumped the brakes after i filled the reservoir until they bleed while i tightened the bolt back on did the same thing with the right front tire and still the same results. peddle goes all the way to the floor. guess i have to bleed the master and start all over this

82Stang
03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
That's not the first time, nor the last time that has happened.

If you've bled the master and the wheels enough times with no result, then the last thing would be the master cylinder being defective. Barring it isn't a leaky caliper/bad wheel cylinder/leaky fitting etc, small things like that.

pendemic
03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
inspected for leaks and loose fittings and found nothing so i guess ill have to replace the master cylinder

Add your comment to this topic!