Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problem with '99 Kia Sportage

H1LL27
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased a used 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD automatic, and I am all of a sudden having problems getting it to start. When I turn the key, the radio & dash lights come on but the car doesn't (not even a clicking noise). However, when my BF gets on the ground and under the car to wiggle a wire, car will start right away. If the car does not start immediately, I found that keeping the key turned for a few seconds will automatically bring life to the car. Please help. Would love to not have this problem.

LMP
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd suspect the transmission neutral/park switch....it allows starting only in these positions...wire/plug/switch failure would explain your problem.

Jliberman
02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
This Kia was brought to me because it was over heated. I replaced the head gasket and the head was sent out and was resurfased. Now when I trie to start it I have to crank and crank it over and keep the throttle to the floor when it finally starts it sounds pretty good. I have 50psi of fuel press when cranking. I have no codes in the computer. I do have low compression 1-95. 2- 50. 3-50. 4-125. But when it's running this engine sounds good I would give it to my couctomer if it didn't have this starting problem. Any help would be appreaited.

LMP
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
First thought is about cam timing....can you confirm this issue is totally 100% sure?....
http://www.avigex.ca/kia/timingmarks.jpg

Jliberman
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Timeing is dead on. Compression is still low. Dissasembeld and found valves not sealing. Sent head back to machine shop. Removed pistons and checked rings. I see no problems with them. I'll recheck after I get it back together. Any tips are appreaited.

Add your comment to this topic!