Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 k1500 wont engage back into park

bbullsj
03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
i have a 97 k1500 pickup and have been haiving problems gettit to shift back into park. it comes out of park fine and through the other gears but i have a lot of trouble getting it back into park. i really have to slam it into park. this just started a monthy ago and has been getting worse to when it takes a dozen tries before itll go in. it does have a 3in body lift but i have not had any trouble with it until now. any ideas? i thought maybe it was just linkage but its a 4l60e so isnt it electrical? maybe a part that the shifter connects to?

j cAT
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
i have a 97 k1500 pickup and have been haiving problems gettit to shift back into park. it comes out of park fine and through the other gears but i have a lot of trouble getting it back into park. i really have to slam it into park. this just started a monthy ago and has been getting worse to when it takes a dozen tries before itll go in. it does have a 3in body lift but i have not had any trouble with it until now. any ideas? i thought maybe it was just linkage but its a 4l60e so isnt it electrical? maybe a part that the shifter connects to?

I believe its the shift cable. you should see the bracket on the driver side with a rubber boot..

sometimes this bracket gets bent . sometimes when fluid/pan drop is done.

777stickman
03-21-2012, 10:20 AM
1st thing is to disconnect the shifter cable at the tranny and see what happens. Post back results and we'll go from there.

bbullsj
03-22-2012, 10:59 AM
well i have someone shift through the gears while i was underneath it. it seems that the rubber or plastic bushing in the metal bracket that the cable runs through is loose in the bracket. so when i shift into drive it pushes it back and then prevents me from putting it back into park. ill either replace the "bushing" or just toss a hose clamp on it for now to hold it in the bracket so it cant slip out. thank for the help :)

Add your comment to this topic!