Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint - Using Automotive Touch Up Paints with Zero clear and Tamiya primer?

GirchyGirchy
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi,

I have a truck I'm working on that I'm coming up with paint ideas for, and have it down to a recent Chevrolet color. Unfortunately, Zero wasn't having much luck finding it in their Lechler catalog.

In the past I've used automotivetouchup.com to get little bottles of paint for bicycles and cars. They happen to sell 2 oz. bottles of paint (including the one I want) for $15, which isn't bad. These come with brushes, intending to be brushed directly onto the damaged spot.

These are not typical Duplicolor paints, these require primer and clearcoat. They sell larger quantities for spraying, which I'm assuming are the same type as what's in the small bottles, only with thinner added.

The paints are described as "urethane base coats" and they sell urethane primer and both acrylic and urethane clears. For my model I'll shoot it with Tamiya primer, so would I just need to use some thinners on the 2 oz. bottle of basecoat to shoot it, and then it'll be ok to use with the Zero clear? Should the Zero basecoat thinner work well with this? Any idea on ratio?

Does anyone on here have experience using an airbrush with the paints from automotivetouchup.com? I'll likely end up calling to see if they have any tips, and email Hiro as well.

Here's a link to their small bottles:
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/store/2oz_touch-up_paints/index.aspx

Thanks for any help!
Brian

gpz900ra7
03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Brian.

If you are going to buy the base coat from these people, ask about the relevant thinners to use for them.

As a thinning ratio I would say about 1:1 to start with, and see what it sprays like, try it on an old car shell, or maybe a plastic spoon, as I have seen quite a few modellers use these for trying out paints.

Most base coats are matt in finish once dried, so a good clearcoat will bring out the gloss.

I always use 2K clearcoat to finish my models, and the one supplied by Hiro gets excellent reviews, so I would advise you to use his if you are familiar with his other paints.

Hope this helps you out.

gpz900ra7.

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-19-2012, 02:47 PM
You are trying to get a US domestic truck color from a UK supplier, why not ask Jameston from Scalefinishes for the same color? He might not have it in his normal line, but he can generally get any color and ship you 2 oz. of paint for about $13.00. Especially for a domestic color, that's where I would inquire first, as he is selling paint to modelers.

GirchyGirchy
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
You are trying to get a US domestic truck color from a UK supplier, why not ask Jameston from Scalefinishes for the same color? He might not have it in his normal line, but he can generally get any color and ship you 2 oz. of paint for about $13.00. Especially for a domestic color, that's where I would inquire first, as he is selling paint to modelers.

Huh, good point, I hadn't seen his site...thanks for the recommendation. Would his basecoat be compatible with the Zero 2k?

Jimmy09
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Huh, good point, I hadn't seen his site...thanks for the recommendation. Would his basecoat be compatible with the Zero 2k?

All Zero 2K is an urethane paint, Lechler is there paint brand overseas where we have PPG, DuPont, & Metalux. I have used Scale Finishes paint with zeros 2k with no problem.
Ever since I can get small quantity local ( I mix my own paint )

If there is a certian color you need I would be more then happy to see
if I can help you out with it

Thanks
Jimmy

Add your comment to this topic!