Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sprinter DPF sticker shock...

Greatstone
03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I recently had a client that not long ago bought a re-manufactured Dodge Sprinter 2500 engine and discovered he found it necessary to change out the Diesel Air particle Filtration system (DPF). My partner and I had never been aware of this thing prior to this and so I was forced to jump on Bing to understand what it was. Once I found out, I assumed it may be a few hundred dollars at the most. Man, we were both equally set for a shock.

A brand new DPF cost approximately $3500, there's a non-oem manufacturer which makes one for about $1500. Even calling around to the junk yards, a refurbished one would be $1000. Even if he bought a refurbished one he'd be required to pay another $350 to have the various soot washed out of the old DPF prior to him being able to use the item.

A little guidance for a lot of you Sprinter operators out there, take good care of your DPF, perform each of the recommended renewal rotations and get this emptied every now and again, or, your facing a nice pile of money to obtain a new one.

jamesslcx
03-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I used to think I needed one of these for my wife and I's business dealings, glad I passed.

Vanman1720
05-22-2022, 07:14 AM
Have you checked the codes?? I am a fan of checking codes and comparing to one of the OBD 2 code (https://autoknowit.com/category/obd2-codes/) websites, it gives everybody a better idea of what is going on and potential costs.

Or take it to another shop and get a second quote, keeps everybody honest in these situations.

Add your comment to this topic!