Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tahoo A/C compressor replacement

repair
03-14-2012, 06:54 PM
I am going to replace the compressor on a 1999 Tahoo and need a little info .I know to shot gun it , compressor, dryer , expansion valve . What I'm asking is , how much oil should be used and does it go in the compressor or the dryer or both? A list of replacement parts would be cool so I don' miss something.Almost forgot ,, it has rear A/C also.
Thanks
David

Mx5guy
03-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Your parts list is spot on only thing missing orifice tube, if you are replacing the compressor because your old one failed you should flush the system, as far as Oil system capacity if you have front A/C only it takes 8 ounces, if you have rear air a larger system it takes 11 ounces. Blessings and good luck :-)

MT-2500
03-17-2012, 08:51 AM
I am going to replace the compressor on a 1999 Tahoo and need a little info .I know to shot gun it , compressor, dryer , expansion valve . What I'm asking is , how much oil should be used and does it go in the compressor or the dryer or both? A list of replacement parts would be cool so I don' miss something.Almost forgot ,, it has rear A/C also.
Thanks
David
Always determin what caused old compressor failure.
Always checkk lines and parts for leakage first thing.
As said flush system to get all oil and trash out of ststem.
Replace with a new over rebuilt compressor.

And check and drain all oil out of replacement compressor before installing.
Then add correct and kind of oil before recharging.

j cAT
03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
with compressor failures like internal type . the system needs to be cleaned out by an ac repair shop.If you do not do this the new compressor will fail quickly and it is usually noted that the compressor purchased will not be on warrantee.

if its just the clutch bearing failure and other external issues then you can just replace the compressor. using pag 150 oil. drain out the oil from the old compressor measure the amount then drain out the new compressors oil and add new pag 150 oil with the amount being 2oz more than you drained out the old compressor. put it all together an give it a long vac pump .. have it hold a good vac for a couple of hours so that the oil will boil off any mositure.

to be safe on a vehicle this old replace the low pressure switch.

Add your comment to this topic!