Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whining sound from transmission area

mhj311
03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I have 2000 Montana and my wife told me that it sounds like an electric car. The engine idles good with very little sound until you put it in drive and start to drive. When its in gear and the throttle is pressed, it makes this whining noise that kinda sounds like a electric car or our son says a remote control car. The van has about 160K miles on it. What can I do or do I need to take it to the shop?

gmtech1
03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Check the trans fluid level, also check the power steeirng fluid level. P/S pump can make a noise similar to a trans pump.

Tech II
03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Have to pinpoint the noise.....do as GMtech1 says.....also try removing the serp belt, start car, and see if noise is gone...

1999montana
03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I have 2000 Montana and my wife told me that it sounds like an electric car. The engine idles good with very little sound until you put it in drive and start to drive. When its in gear and the throttle is pressed, it makes this whining noise that kinda sounds like a electric car or our son says a remote control car. The van has about 160K miles on it. What can I do or do I need to take it to the shop?

Does the trans shift OK? Any hard shifts? The trans will whine when the PCS calls for max line pressure due to a perceived delay in shifts.

It could also be one of the pulleys on the serpentine. Mine had a bad one on the tensioner that was ready to lock up, and one of the idler pulleys (there are two) was on its way out. If you disconnect the serpentine and the noise goes away you know it is one of them, or possibly even the water pump or power steering.

With the belt off, you can spin each pulley to determine if there is any growling in the bearings inside the pulleys, noise or wobble, or a pulley that feels very stiff.

mhj311
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
The van shifts great, it doesnt slip or jerk into gear. I read that it could be a solenoid or just change the fluid and filter along with a bottle of Seafoam. I can do the filter and fluid part, I just hope it works.

Add your comment to this topic!