Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Ram 2500 8.0L V10 runs rough for 1 minute

zimpete
03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
My 99' Ram 2500 8.0L V10 has had an issue for some time that I can no longer live with.

Let's say you start the truck, let it idle for 15 seconds then start to drive down the road. I drive 4 blocks through town then I am on the highway going 55 mph. I will drive for about 2 miles then the truck will start to loose power. It bogs down, sometimes pops through the intake. This will continue for 1 mile then clear-up and drive great. It will not act like this again until I shut the truck off and restart.

If I let the truck idle in my driveway after a few minutes, maybe 2, the truck will idle very rough for 1 to 1.5 minutes then clear-up.

When the truck acts like this I always smell gas. The only codes that come up are injector codes. The codes always jump to another injector.

About the truck:
I bought in 2001 with 45,000 miles, now had 90,000 miles
Lifted 3 inches with 36" BFG Mud Terrains
ARB air lockers front and rear
Throttle body spacer
I just took out the K&N Filter and replaced with a standard filter

jamesslcx
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
zimpete, have you run a fuel system cleaner through it regularly such as Techron? Usually backfiring through the intake is a timing or lean condition. I'm not too familiar with the v-10, does it have a coolant temp sensor or map sensor? As you can tell I'm leaning toward a sensor problem that can be tested with a multi-meter. Sometimes one can be bad and not throw a code. Maybe someone else will chime in with a little more expertise with the V10.

zimpete
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I feel it may be a sensor problem also. My local dealer has no technicians with any V10 experience. They want to replace all 10 injectors, injector harness and computer. They feel that will fix the problem. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the MAP sensor, I will check into that.

One person told me it was the Mass Airflow Sensor, I checked the intake and I do not have one of those. The same guy said it could be the Manifold Air Temp sensor, I'm not sure if I trust him now.

jamesslcx
03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Zimpete, you would have another problem if you let that dealership do those repairs it is called "empty pockets" Do you have a manual for your truck? It's possible to have a problem with the trucks air charge temperature sensor or whatever they call it these days, you have to be really careful who you listen to, some just want to line their pockets. I would just check your sensors and their connections first just to rule them out.

jpb53
03-14-2012, 06:04 PM
You keep getting codes for injectors. All 10 injectors get their power from the ASD relay and there are some splices in this circuit. The computer grounds each injector individually. So you could possibly have a wire harness issue. That is the 1st thing I would look at. You can access the EBSCO database through ELM in your state if you have a library card. EBSCO has an Auto Repair Reference Center where you can get the wiring diagram.

Add your comment to this topic!