Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Eclipse GS-T Ignition problem

InsaneCries
03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I just got my 95 eclipse from a middle aged women who's ex boyfriend had it. She sold it because of the timing belt and the catalytic converter. I replaced the timing belt and lined everything up like my haynes manual says, I also detached the catalytic converter once I did that it started and ran rough. With my fathers help we figured out that only the #3 piston is firing even though all of them have spark. The car does run on the #3 piston alone so I know my timing must be right. Of course the engine cannot idle and it stalls when you let go of the gas I am only 16 and my father and I have been at this for 3 days so help would be appreciated.

SilvrEclipse
03-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Welcome to AF.

Did the timing belt snap on the car? These motors are interference engine so if the belt broke while the car was running there is a good chance it has some bent valves. I would do a compression test on the motor to see if thats the case.

steviek
03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Yea unfortunately it sounds like the motor has been KO'd. + 1 on Compression test.

steviek
03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
FWIW- I normally don't like body kits on eclipses but yours looks pretty good! Also quarter panel vents? Are they functional somehow or just for looks?

SilvrEclipse
03-14-2012, 06:21 AM
FWIW- I normally don't like body kits on eclipses but yours looks pretty good! Also quarter panel vents? Are they functional somehow or just for looks?

He only has a lip molded on the stock front bumper. Thats why it doesnt look horrible like other aftermarket front ends. I have always liked them as well

Add your comment to this topic!