Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Having Trouble Accelerating Uphill

jhart2826
03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey guys! I'm having trouble driving uphill with my 98 Sebring JXi convertible. It seems she's not pulling enough rpms to get into the next gear? (Automatic tranny) Any thoughts? She seems to be running just fine under any other circumstances. 125k miles

Engine code reads a defaulting ____ (that thing that recycles the exhaust before spitting it out the back; it helps improve gas mileage so I don't think that's the problem)

jamesslcx
03-08-2012, 04:47 PM
jhart2826, first have you kept up your routine service on your car, such as fuel filter, air filter,plugs etc.? Do you use fuel system cleaner regularly? Is your code for egr valve or catalytic converter? Both those items can effect power going up a hill. Nice car.

jhart2826
03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
While she's been in my care I have kept her up to date. Everything is clean. I'm slowly clearing out the rust running through my radiator hoses, but I think a few more chemical flushes should do the trick, she's looking MUCH better than before. I can't say how she was treated before June 2010, the CarFAX is completely blank until I hit her first owner who kept her up to date for her first 4 years.

Fuel system cleaner: I ran her through a cycle of Sea Foam, a couple Lucas cycles. Now I have her on Marvel Mystery Oil. I add it to a fill up once a month.

EGR! That's it! Yes I'll need to replace the valve soon. Air filter needs another clean but I feel like she's had difficulty going uphill with or without a clean filter. I have an after-stock K&N cone filter that came with the car, an upgrade from the last owner.

Maybe after I get that EGR in her she'll feel better.

jamesslcx
03-09-2012, 03:09 PM
jhart, sounds like a plan, I can tell she is in good hands now.

Add your comment to this topic!