Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dodge Dakota Towing Package

cavasinj
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
So i am looking into getting an early/mid 2000's Dakota with the V8 and, hopefully, a towing package for some light farmwork. I am already well aware of it's towing and payload capacities and will not be near them, if something that big needs to make it's way to or from my farm, I can hire that out...

My question is in researching them, I know the V8 has a decent reputation for it's strength, but the axle ratios keep showing up as either 3.55 or 3.92 and both being referenced as part of the "standard" towing package. Seems that either one or the other ratio would be the "standard" and not both. Anyone able to enlighten me which of these ratios is better for towing say a trailer of hay bales, or a single horse trailer? Any other insight/pros/cons to both types of ratios are appreciated, as well as any way to identify a Dakota WITH the towing package if the seller isn't aware that is has the towing package?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

jamesslcx
03-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Cavasinj, the 3.92 gears would be better for towing and power wise at the cost of higher revving at highway speeds and reduced gas mileage. Usually you can identify one with the towing package by larger brake size, more leaf springs at the rear axle and possibly an external transmission cooler, which is needed on a well used work vehicle anyway. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!