Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Taurus Stalls at Starting

tedcoffelt
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Model: 2002 Ford Tauras SES. I like the car a lot and have owned 4 or 5 Taurus / Sables.

I have had a problem that I would hope you all might shed some light on and wonder if this ever happened with you.

Several times I have started the car. The ignition engages and the RPMs go to 2000 and then it immediately shuts off and won’t restart.

When I try to start it again, the starter will engage, the engine will begin and it will get to 2000 RPMs but will immediately shut off again. It will continue to do this until I let it sit for several hours or over night and then it starts just fine.

I have had it at several garages but they can't find anything. Unfortunately, it never breaks when it is at the garage. The computer codes, they say, don't give any indication or a problem.

I did put a new fuel pump on and filter but that didn't change anything.

It is like the ingition gets cut the way it just shuts down. I think if there was a problem with fuel then it would sputter but it doesn't do that. It just shuts off.

I took it to a dealer but the service rider hadn't heard of anything (but didn't look it up either).

Thanks for your comments.

Ted

tempfixit
03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Model: 2002 Ford Tauras SES. I like the car a lot and have owned 4 or 5 Taurus / Sables.

I have had a problem that I would hope you all might shed some light on and wonder if this ever happened with you.

Several times I have started the car. The ignition engages and the RPMs go to 2000 and then it immediately shuts off and won’t restart.

When I try to start it again, the starter will engage, the engine will begin and it will get to 2000 RPMs but will immediately shut off again. It will continue to do this until I let it sit for several hours or over night and then it starts just fine.

I have had it at several garages but they can't find anything. Unfortunately, it never breaks when it is at the garage. The computer codes, they say, don't give any indication or a problem.

I did put a new fuel pump on and filter but that didn't change anything.

It is like the ingition gets cut the way it just shuts down. I think if there was a problem with fuel then it would sputter but it doesn't do that. It just shuts off.

I took it to a dealer but the service rider hadn't heard of anything (but didn't look it up either).

Thanks for your comments.

Ted

When this happens do you have spark when trying to restart??? Have you tried squirting carb cleaner in throttle body to see if it runs then?

Which engine does it have? ANti theft system?? Remote start system?

shorod
03-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Since it will start up and rev to 2000 rpms, it sounds like you're getting spark. Metering throttle body cleaner in to see if you can keep it running would be an interesting test, assuming you do not have a fuel pressure tester.

It sounds like you might have a vacuum leak which could explain why it revs up and why it won't act up in the warm, heated shop. Maybe if they left the car outside overnight and tried it first
thing in the morning they could experience the issue.

If you can get it to remain running when metering cleaner in though, that would suggest a fuel issue. Also have you tried holding the throttle slightly open to see if it will stay running with the throttle open part way? If so, then it may be an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) servo.

-Rod

tedcoffelt
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Thank you SHORob and tempfixit.

When I try to restart there is clearly spark. The started engages and it revs to about 2000 rpm and then it is like a switch is turned and the engine shuts down. This whole thing takes maybe 3 seconds. I can then do it again ... and again ... and again, but it won't stay running.

This is a SES model. I don't know what to say about the engine type.

There is the standard Taurus security. Then there is an added KARR security. I called KARR and they said that it wasn't them because their system won't let the started activate.

Let's keep talking. There has got to be an answer here.

shorod
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Who installed the KARR security system (I'm not familiar with that brand, or is that the installer)? Most aftermarket security systems have a "starter disable" but I've heard of some installations where the starter disable relay was used to disable the fuel pump because it's relatively easy to jumper the starter, not as easy to jumper the fuel pump. I think most people now realize that if there is a malfunction in that circuit it's much worse to lose the fuel pump (especially when running down the highway) than to not be able to engage the starter, so fewer installs are getting done that way, but maybe the person who installed yours didn't think it through. The carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner trick mentioned by tempfixit above will help you determine if the fueling system is where you need to focus or not.

Does your car have a "24V DOHC" badge on the fender, an "FFV" leaf badge on the fender or trunk lid, or "OHV" on the valve cover? Any of these will help to identify the engine.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!