Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Emission Evap Not ready? Egr cleaned and fixed

fastmoney
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
2002 olds alero 3400 engine.....I had a code of a p1401 insufficient flow to egr ..Which is most of the time the clogged passage. I took the throttle off an accessed the egr passage. Boy was it clogged with carbon so I cleaned it out thoroughly, which fixed the problem.

I reset the computer I drove it a few days and now all the monitors are ready, except the evap monitor. I have drove a few days highway, street, stop and go etc my tank being half filled etc. And its still not ready. Car has to take emission soon. Its a coincidence because the Alero ac isn't working so it can't be turned on right now.

I ran into a similar problem with a 2000 Monte Carlo the evap wouldn't go to the ready status he had a short somewhere and the ac compressor would work intermittently. The compressor finally worked one day with defrost on and the evap went to ready.

I'm just wondering, I'm sure its other ways for evap to go ready but the ac is the fastest ???

gmtech1
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Fast, I did a little research and found that a Tech2 scanner may be need to run what they call "service bay tests" in order to reset your I/M flag for the evap system.
You will have to take it to a dealer in order to have this done. Hope this helps!

fastmoney
03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Oh wow.. thank you for your help..I will let you know what happens.

jpb53
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
2001 MY and newer can have 1 monitor incomplete and still test.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/obd.html#8

Add your comment to this topic!