Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cool heat but no overheating problem? help

tessa74
02-29-2012, 11:44 PM
got a 96 caprice sedan...have very little heat at idle but pretty good as long as im moving or above idle rpms..put in new stat....ran water through core...appears to have had new water pump recently...check heater box for blockage..its clear and all flaps are working as they should....im at my wits end....help anyone?

silicon212
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Not quite sure about what you're asking, but it sounds like you might be talking about some overheating problem when the engine is idling?

Check your electric fans.

j cAT
03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
got a 96 caprice sedan...have very little heat at idle but pretty good as long as im moving or above idle rpms..put in new stat....ran water through core...appears to have had new water pump recently...check heater box for blockage..its clear and all flaps are working as they should....im at my wits end....help anyone?

the heatercore traps much debris. you must remove the engine heatercore hoses and flush out the core. there is no valve so fwd/rev flush until the water flows freely. common problem.

another problem would be using the wrong thermostat. this is a special type on the LT1 engine.

then you must open the bleed screw to purge out the air[ ENGINE RUNNING]. be careful not to spill any coolant on the distributor.

BOTH HOSES TO CORE MUST BE HOT. IF NOT THE CORE IS RESTRICTED.

I get 140 deg f when its 30 deg f outside from the heater very good heat ...

Add your comment to this topic!