Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Silhouette Premiere battery drain

armagh32
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
The battery in my silhouette was drained I have taken it out charged it had autozone check it and they said it is ok can anyone tell me my next steps to find what is draining it

Thanks for the responses

LMP
03-03-2012, 04:58 AM
I'd do this first: start the car and use voltmeter or multimeter to measure battery voltage. It should read near or over 14 volts. Reading 12v or less means the alternator is shot. Notice a faulty alternator will let you run on battery until you have drained it out. It might take you back home then...will not be able to start the next morning..

IF it passes that test, then you need an ammeter.
Disconnect battery positive cable and because of the uneasy reach for installing the ammeter, run a short wire.(.no big wire is necessary for that test, 14 gauge house wire is ok..you will not start the engine...) from battery positive..then install ammeter between wire and cable. YOU should read near zero..maybe a few milliamps, maybe 20, for the standby sections of the computer. (make sure no lights are turned ON) . Leave ignnition key OFF.
More than that, you have a leak, or something ON that you are not aware of....glove box lamp is a classic...
Cars with automatic load levellers shocks are known to drain battery when the air shocks have an air leak..and the automatic leveller pumps and pumps air from time to time., specially when you are not listening.....eventually draining the battery after some time. (air compressor is not controlled by the ignition switch) .

Depending on the result of that test, come back if need more info....mmm..how long did it take to discharge?

Add your comment to this topic!