Page updated on 11-18-2017

Converting from 1/25 to 1/24

kaho
02-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Greetings.

This weekend I had been thinking much about this topic. I was thinking of building one of my eclipse kits (2 AMT, 1 Revell) but all of them being 1/25 and is noticeably smaller than the rest of my collection which are all 1/24, it has became a big hit on my will power. I admit that the 2G eclipse is a very good looking car and I would really love to have one built up in stock bumpers, which is also in my plans if I ever build one.

If I am to cut up the Revell body and enlarge it to 1/24 dimensions, I would need to start from the roof, cut it up laterally and longitudinally along the middle and extend 2mm of material into each cut. I measured up a 2G Eagle Talon in the local junkyard and found out Revell has made the windows disproportionately low and I will never make it tall enough if I am to keep the pillars at the same angle. I could repeat the same process for each panel but the thought of putting each slices back together is making me cringe.

Does anyone have any advises/opinions on converting a body from 1/25 to 1/24? Just want to hear what people want to say about such a project.

Veyron
02-27-2012, 07:05 AM
It would be virtually impossible to scale every dimension of the kit up to 1/24 without re-engineering everything and scratchbuilding some parts.

If you did do it... once finished the body proportions would be all wrong because you can't change the scale of all radii and contours contained in the shape.

kaho
02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
So Veyron you would definitely not do it if it was you? I thought I had the angles of the pillars considered but you did got me when mentioning the radii of the shape. Being such a round car I would have a hard time even doing the first step of the roof.

I know the 2G eclipse has been topic in here a few times but gosh I wish someone would make a 1/24 scale of this car...:banghead:

Veyron
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
So Veyron you would definitely not do it if it was you? I thought I had the angles of the pillars considered but you did got me when mentioning the radii of the shape. Being such a round car I would have a hard time even doing the first step of the roof.

I know the 2G eclipse has been topic in here a few times but gosh I wish someone would make a 1/24 scale of this car...:banghead:

I wouldn't do it and I'm a predominately 1/24 builder so I feel your pain.

rallymaster
02-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree with Veyron, it's impossible to get an efficient conversion only by enlarging a few things...
Scale question is a proportion issue, not only dimensions.
You have to see the thing like if you were spreading a picture (correcting sizes but by deforming) or zooming on it (what should be done to convert a size).
Hope you see what I mean with this example.

I never understood why some brands decided to release some 1/25 models when 1/24 is the reference and won't change their life if they match that scale when engeenering the kits...
another no-answer mistery of modeling...

kaho
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
On a separate note, if any skillful model maker/cad designer on here sees this: I would pay generously for a proper 1/24 model of the 2G eclipse!

Although I know it is never as simple as that, and it takes more than just one person's demand for a kit to have it somehow made and be available.

hirofkd
02-29-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm enlarging a certain 1/25 scale model into1/24 scale, and I have about 60 days to complete until the Houston contest on Apr. 28th. If I succeed, I'll post pictures. If not, you'll have to wait until 2013. :biggrin:

kaho
02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm enlarging a certain 1/25 scale model into1/24 scale, and I have about 60 days to complete until the Houston contest on Apr. 28th. If I succeed, I'll post pictures. If not, you'll have to wait until 2013. :biggrin:

Yea for sure please post up some pics by then! It will definitely be epic if you can pull it off! What car are you enlarging if you don't mind me asking?

Add your comment to this topic!