Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Broke off old crank sensor trying to get out on 97

comet240
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
hi this question is really for a 97 sunfire but i have same engine for a 97 cav and people reply here where nto really in the sunfire and its a 2.2 engine

and here is my question

hi i read online to remove the 97 sunfires crank sensor u can just easily remove it from the back underneath and pull it out well you cant
dont even know howyou can get at it from under neath i can see it but you cant

i was able to do tit from the top get the bolt out
and i tried wigglying in there to get it out but cant
so then took a chisle and hamer to try to seperate it from engine block u know to break the seal
well that worked or i thought it broke the flus off but left the 2 probe wires
how u get it off? i currently have the block heater pluged in to hope to heat the oil that it expands the engine block enough to pull on wires but if not what do u have to do? is this going to be a bitch fix or somewhat simple and i dont see why they have to make the opening between tranny and enging so small to get at that sensor and whats the sensor right beside it also?

so any help be great

havent tried yet but can i plug the new sensor on the wireharness and be able to start car even if its not in the engine? so i can heat the engine enough so it will expand to pull sensor out if that trick works?

comet240
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
so i tried putting new sensor on harness to start car no go

tried using butaine hand held torch to melt plastic no luck it turned red hot that about it didnt melt or flow out of the hole ugh cuz i tried heating then pulling with needle nose vise grips to pull on the 2 sensor leads well that didnt work in end they broke off now i going to try to hot glue a screw to my cordless screw driver and try to screw it in but who knows

anyone else have ideas?

as it be a beotch to get oil pan out dunno why they have to make it so hard to remove an oil pan ugh

comet240
02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
so i was able to get a self taping deck screw to screw in but unable to pull it out

i even tried putting the needle nose vise grips on the screw and then from underneath use a pry bar to press against the oil pan and on the vise grip but it slips off and the rubber ring is holding it in place what else can i do like frig cuz i dotn wanna take oil pan off for this crap

hoppedup
02-24-2012, 07:02 PM
so i was able to get a self taping deck screw to screw in but unable to pull it out

i even tried putting the needle nose vise grips on the screw and then from underneath use a pry bar to press against the oil pan and on the vise grip but it slips off and the rubber ring is holding it in place what else can i do like frig cuz i dotn wanna take oil pan off for this crap
try a 3/16 screw[lag] drill a hole so that the screw will fit without been to small or big put crazy glue on the lag let set bout 20mins then knoke it in a little try to pull back out in-out it get carbon on the back side and sometime there real hard to get out if all fails u may have to pull the pan but i try anything before that the sensor wilnt work if it cant since the mags on the crank

comet240
03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
ok i finnally got it out

what i ended up doing is crazy i couldnt ever get the sensor out

i had 3/8" screw hooks stainless steel screwed in it and kept ripping the rope

how i did was

i took a soldering iron and stuck it on the play and let it sit like 20 min till it burned a hole in and out of it and then i had hook screwed in it
i had hooked up to backhoe and drove backwards and it still kept pulling the car and then broke away i bought new straps and then with the hook stll screwed in the senssor i was tapping it with a hammer hard to get at, eventually it went in and out and when i tried took off the screw and i used a scribber in the hole and was able to pull out but not the magnet was too tight in there and then i clamped vise grips to the plastic sensor left and used backhoe to pull it ripped it off and left the wire probs again i re did it a few more times with vise grips and hooking it to a strap to teh back hoe to pull it and kept breaking the wire by 4th time i was nervous but this time it pulled out with just a little pin left my question is thank god its over buy why so hard to get out? like why i have to go through all that

and to put the new one i i oiled it and used a socket and hammer to tap it in

one headache over lol

Add your comment to this topic!