92 Honda Accord fan keeps running?

FuriousPig
02-22-2012, 03:01 AM
92 Honda accord. This car has two radiator fans. The passenger side fan comes on intermittantly after the car has been shut off, causing the cars battery to drain. If the battery isnt disconected then the car has to be jumped every time due to the fan running. Cars temp doesnt get hot, checked coolant, everything seems to be working fine. Any guess?

jeffcoslacker
02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
My friend's '89 I found a wad of wires that had broken insulation running along the radiator core support, it was getting power from there. Soon as I moved the wire loom it stopped. Since then I've noticed a lot of older ones have really brittle, cracking insulation on underhood wiring.

Other than that, check to see if the relay is stuck. Could also be a bad temp sensor I suppose, since those are made to be able to run the fan(s) with the key off.

FuriousPig
02-23-2012, 01:26 AM
thanks, not to sound like an idiot but where is the relay located and where is the temp sensor?

jeffcoslacker
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I can't remember for sure, that's going back a bit too far...temp sensors are generally near the thermostat, which if you follow your top hose into the motor, that's where it is. Probably close to the distributor. If it's like most I remember, there's a few different sensor/switches in that area.

If more than one, to find out what they do you can either ground the wire to the engine block (if one wire) or use a short "U" of wire to connect the wiring terminals together (if two wire).

Grounding the gauge sensor will make the gauge go full hot on the dash (ignition on)...shorting the fan's temp sensor should make the fan(s) cycle on. Or, in your case, if the fan is stuck on, disconnecting the sensor will make the fan turn off if the sensor is the problem.

Autozone has really good tech manuals and component locations, much as I hate to admit it, if you sign up for an account (it's free) you'll have access to a lotta helpful info and diagrams for your car. I don't think you need an account to use the parts location feature though...it will tell you where different relays, sensors and such are on your car.

FuriousPig
02-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks Jeff. I will do some troubleshooting in the morning and will post my findings!

Add your comment to this topic!