Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Cavalier - Dead Transmission?

DaleReynolds24
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Hey guys. My friend has a 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier. 2.2L, 3 speed auto and it has 160,000 on it.

He says it's been parked for almost a year. The other day he went out to move it and car ran fine but the transmission was dead. Says the park gear worked, but when he tried every other gear, the car would not engage. He said it was like every gear was like putting it into neutral, wouldnt go anywhere.

Anyone know what this could be? The car was running perfectly fine when he parked it last winter. I think something electrical, maybe a shift solenoid? I could be way off though. Any of you know what might possibly be wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated; He's wanting to get it running again.

Tech II
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Start by checking fluid level......since a three speed, has a dip stick......car has to be running when checked...if ok, make sure shifter cable is connected, and tranny electrical harness connected.....

If ok, scan for codes......parked for a year, if fluid level is ok, wouldn't be surprised if a rodent problem was present(ate wires)....

Add your comment to this topic!