Bleeding Brakes with ABS

1999montana
02-18-2012, 02:43 PM
1999 Montana Van EWB
ABS / TCS

I've done the brakes at least twice since owning this van new. Bled the brakes too and flushed the system. Looks like I need to do brakes again because I think Krown Rust Proofing got some oil coating on the front calipers and such when it was oiled last fall.

Anyway, someone on another forum was talking about bleeding the ABS unit while watching for codes with a scanner. I've never touched the ABS unit, although I note that there are bleeders in the top of the unit for the various circuits in the system.

My question is, can I easily bleed the ABS without a scanner, or is the ABS one of those Voo Doo type of devices you should just leave alone?

I've never liked the brake feel with this van. Every GM car I have ever owned or driven has a nice high, hard pedal, but not the van. Always seemed squishy, if that is a word to describe it. Twice, I had the dealer bleed the system under warranty because it didn't feel right. That never changed anything.

Is there a different method for bleeding brakes when ABS is involved?

Tech II
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
As long as there is no ABS code present, the ABS pistons should be in the re-homed position......can gravity bleed(RR,LR, RF, LF) or use a vac pump....just keep reservoir full....with the key off.....ccccc

1999montana
02-18-2012, 07:14 PM
As long as there is no ABS code present, the ABS pistons should be in the re-homed position......can gravity bleed(RR,LR, RF, LF) or use a vac pump....just keep reservoir full....with the key off...

Thanks for the reply. I understand, and it's gravity all the way as always.

Why are there bleeders on the ABS, if they never get opened, or better yet, under what circumstances would they be cracked open?

gmtech1
02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
The bleeders on the ABS unit were used when the unit was assembled, thats the only time they are/were used.

Add your comment to this topic!