Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

46RE Tranny shifting problem

dksob81
02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I have a 1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9Limited with the 46RE transmission in it.

over the part 9 months or so I have been having a shifting issue. It started out about 1/2 the time the tranny wouldnt shift into 2nd gear until about 3k rpm's or would shift back and forth from 1st to 2nd rapidly until I gave it a little more gas then it would shift into 2nd. I did have a check engine light come on last and pulled the codes at work and it was for the governor pressure sensor. so I replaced it with one out of another tranny (44RE) I had and that took care of the studdering (shifting back and forth from 1st-2nd) and seem to help with the delay/hesitation on shifting into 2nd gear but that lasted about a month or 2. Now, it pretty much does it (doesn't shift til 3k)all the time. I did some searching and some ppl have suggested that it wasnt shifting into 2nd at all and it was going right into 3rd, well I put it on the scope at work and took it for a ride and it is definately shifting into 2nd according to the scanner. I replaced the Governor pressure sensor and solenoid with new MOPAR units and still didnt help. So I figured it is time for a rebuild.

Well about a month ago the I got a check engine light for a IAC Valve issue, I remove the Throttle Body and removed the MAP, IAC Valve and TPS from the TB and cleaned the TB really good with TB Cleaner. Put everything back together (with new IAC Valve and TPS), reused MAP. I drove it this past monday to work and stuff and still had the transmission issue, my girlfriend needed to use the jeep tuesday for something so I took her car and when I drove the jeep wednesday the gas pedal seemed very easy to push ( I already knew what it was). I took a drive out to summit racing to pick a few things up for my girlfriends car and had to drop her off at work, I noticed that, I didnt notice, a shifting issue with the jeep. So, After I dropped her off I turned off the radio and heater and just paid attention to the transmission and it shifted and still is shifting fine. I stopped at the store to pick up some washer fluid and filled the reservoir in the jeep and saw the TV Cable had came disconnected (the cable was broke but I had it strategically zip-tied in place) from the throttle body, I left it alone. Also the TV Cable was properly adjusted, I checked numerous times and the throttle valve in the transmission moves freely with the cable.

So my question is:

"What would cause my transmission to shift perfectly fine with the TV Cable disconnected but not shift into second properly with it connected?"

Add your comment to this topic!