Page updated on 06-18-2018

C clamp with bolt drive instead of T handle for tightening.

02-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I broke a stud on my exhaust flange -one of 3- so for now or forever, was looking to clamp that spot and only thought of C-clamp so far.
Not a lot of space for two hands and need to get some torque on it too. Seems like I Have seen clamps with a nut for tightening them but cant find one.
so hoped somebody here either knows one or a good substitute.

02-10-2012, 08:43 AM
If you already have a clamp of the approximate needed , simply cut off the sliding T - handle used to tighten the clamp . Get a hex nut of the appropriate size and weld it onto the clamp shaft head .

02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Thought of that. That doesn't look like weld able material, but I have. O welding tools

02-10-2012, 02:57 PM
If you already have a clamp of the approximate needed , simply cut off the sliding T - handle .

As mentioned, cut off the handle and grind the end of the shaft into a square. You can then use a 8 point socket on the square end to tighten. Size the square approx 3/8" or 1/2" or whatever is appropriate so you can use a standard size socket.

And BTW, I have seen c-clamps for this type of repair over the years..:headshake

I love backyard engineering..:grinyes:

02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Both ideas are good and that'd be a good fix somewhere in the third world but come on guys this is America. You'll go through as much effort as fixin it correctly!

02-11-2012, 02:26 AM
I like that idea on many levels. I will give the grinding a try.

For now this is the right way, as it is probably better to clamp than not. removing the the broken stud ect. cant happen for a while.

Seems lkike I have seen these clamps but cant find one or anybody who has seen one.

Add your comment to this topic!