Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 alero lighter replacement

hooters4breakfst
02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
i have a 2003 oldmobile alero and the main cigarette lighter does not work. yesterday i got fuses and it kept blowing them so i figured it was a short and i need a new lighter. the second power outlet on the passenger side works fine and doesnt blow the fuse. how much work do you figure it would be to get a new cigarette outlet and replace it? i mean could i do it myself?

shorod
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Does the power port have a lighter in it, and if so do the fuses still blow if you leave the lighter out? Years ago some GMs had problems with the lighters causing fuses to blow. Sometimes it was as simple as twisting the lighters to tighten them up.

Also, there are most likely other items on the same circuit as the lighter. You will want to check those before condemning the lighter socket.

-Rod

hooters4breakfst
02-08-2012, 10:01 PM
when i push the lighter in the fuse will blow but when i just leave it in not heating it up the fuse doesnt. the circuit has 2 outlets going to it, it has the cigarette lighter and then another power outlet on the passenger side. anytime i put anything into the main cigarette lighter (gps,sirius, ipod) the fuse will blow but on the passenger side outlet the fuse wont blow when i have thing in it (ipod,sirius radio, gps)

shorod
02-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Okay, that information helps. I trust you've already looked in to the socket to make sure there isn't a dime or something in there that is shorting the center contact to the case/chassis everytime something is inserted in the socket. The next thing I'd try is, with the fuse removed, stick your finger in the socket and see if it feels loose or wiggles around. If so, the positive center conductor may be shorting to the grounded chassis when you insert something. If it does seem loose, you may be able to spin the chassis enough to tighten it up if you're lucky.

Now back to your original question - if you determine there's nothing in the socket and it's not just loose, I'm not sure what it will take to replace the socket. You'll need to be able to get to the back side of the socket which likely requires removing a panel from the dash. There may be a couple of screws or the panel may just be snapped in place. Once you get to the back side there will be two wires going to the socket, possibly both in one connector. You'll need to unplug the socket and generally they are removed from the panel by un-threading the inside socket from the outside chassis. I'm not sure that makes sense, but if you have a replacement for reference it will probably make more sense.

If you are comfortable with wiring you could buy a "generic" socket from your local parts store and install it in place of the bad one. You will likely need to cut the OEM socket off though and install a couple of terminals for the new socket.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!