Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Walmart Replacement Ignition Key

colonelcobb
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I've posted a new thread because of something completely unexpected. About 1-1/2 years ago, I needed a second ignition key. Ford wanted $200 + for a key and Walmart would program a new key for $50. Keep that in mind.

This morning, I returned to my "dead" Windstar and was prepared to test the fuel pressure and/or dismantle the cowl, and intake manifold. When I got in the van to "give-it-one-more-try", I turned the key to the "on" position, and for the first time, I noticed that my THEFT light was blinking very rapidly. I knew I was locked-out. On a hunch, I went back home and got my origional Ford key from my wife, and returned to the van. IT STARTED RIGHT UP !!!!!

After nearly 3 weeks of "pulling my hair out" trying to get the Windstar started, it has been the key! Problem solved !!!!!!

However, I don't know why my Walmart key lost it's program memory. I also don't know if this is, or is not, something that could be problematic with Walmart replacement coded ignition keys.

Just my experience, and a possible "Heads-Up" to anyone else.

Thanks for all the help and input from everyone that has helped me with my questions.

Windstartled
02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Glad you finally solved the mystery! At least this episode allowed you to get to know your van better than most owners ever will.

Regarding the key I suspect Wal Mart sells them for less because they use lower quality chips that are more prone to failure, simple as that. When I purchased my van the previous owners (an airport shuttle service) gave me two keys including one which had their company logo on it and was obviously not a Ford original. This key always causes the theft warning to flash faster but it does start the engine all the same. However I can't unlock the driver side door or the rear hatch with it, funky stuff. Even funkier -and scarier- is the fact that a Ford key I picked up at a junk yard just for kicks does unlock the driver door, but not the hatch. I don't even know which model this key originally came from, it was just lying on the ground. Thank god it does not start the engine.

tempfixit
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
I read on another thread of a place to get keys reasonably and then have the dealer program but I cannot rember where it is located. If and when I find it I will post here for you. I think the link was overstockkey.com but not sure.

Glad you got it going.

fy171
02-18-2012, 06:38 PM
when i bought my 2002, i bought a blank key from ford for $12 dollars,and program the new key from the car you need 2 working keys from your auto to progam any addional key this way if i lost one key i still have 2 keys to program a new key

Add your comment to this topic!