Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help: 96 jeep grand cherokee won't start

Rob711
02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I have a 96 grand cherokee laredo, and the other day it just wouldnt start. The jeep will not turn over, so i started checking some things out and determined that it was not getting a spark. Since i replaced the distrubitor cap recently i figured it had to be the ignition coil, so i replaced that. Still no go, i tested to see if the ignition coil was getting a spark by using an ohm meter, and nothing.

So something is preventing the spark even getting that far. I do not know much about vehicles, and i have to think it is something in the electrical system (like a chip or something),possibly security system, or NSS. I have come up with these by reading other people having similiar problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
If the problem happened suddenly after the cap replacement, that's what I'd look at first.

With the distributor cap, did you also replace the rotor? Check to make sure that both are securely on.

There are numerous problems reported that are caused by voltage/battery issues. Have your battery checked, and also have a look at the positive battery cable....corrosion up to 8" away from the battery has been reported on AF.

Add your comment to this topic!