Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 accord blower motor headache

accordforcord
02-07-2012, 10:48 PM
I've got a 89 honda accord. the blower just stopped working one day on my way home. Looked online about what was wrong and the website i found said to test the two wires. One of them had 12v but the other had nothing. The forum then said if that was the case to change the motor. so i changed it out for a new one and the blower still wont come on. what should i do next because I have no idea where to go from here. Thanks.

jeffcoslacker
02-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Well it sounds like actually your problem was a broken ground on the negative side of the circuit...if you had 12v on the supply side, you then use a test light to see if you have a complete circuit between the two wires with the blower switch and ignition on...or if you only have a voltmeter that'll work too, just probe the two wires with your test leads, you'll get a zero reading if the ground is broken...or sometimes a very low reading if the ground is corroded at its source, in which case when you test it with positive lead to supply side and negative lead to a known-good ground (like the negative battery post) it will show full voltage, confirming the degraded ground path...

My guess is that if you hook up the supply (+) side to the blower, and run a wire from the other side of the blower's contacts to a good ground, it's gonna run for you...

Now I have noticed that a lot of late 80's era Hondas have really bad electrical wiring deterioration problems, you find a lot of broken and cracked insulation...sometimes in wires that are run together in a loom, and they can end up stealing ground or powering a circuit that shouldn't be on, etc...I had a '89 I was working on that the radiator fan wouldn't run with the headlights on...drove me nuts but finally found where the headlight circuit was stealing ground from the fan circuit...crazy....

Add your comment to this topic!