Page updated on 11-21-2017

AFMOTY 2011: Results and Prizes!

360spider
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
First of all, thank you all for participating in the contest, and casting your votes - this year participation was more than last year, which is great! We got plenty of votes too. Second, I want to thank MidMazar, BVC500 and auw12 for tremendous help in running the contest, I couldn't do it without you guys. Finally, I want to thank Tang and Steve (hiroboy) for donating and organizing wonderful prizes for our contest winners - but more on that later.

Here is the final votes, and while the winner was determined from the beginning, let me tell ya - the battle for second and third places was very tight until the very end! Congrats to Scratchbuilt - your wonderful Porsche sure deserve it! To Zhenya and Dima - congrats on 2nd and 3rd place - proud of you guys!

1st 89 points 15. ScratchBuilt 1/8 Porsche 908-03 (Targa Florio 1970)
2nd 35 points 7. eugene78 BMW 507, 1/24 Revell
3rd 31 points 20. Sebastian. LeMans Miniatures 1/24 Bentley Speed 8 2003

4th 30 points 1. auw12 Aston Martin DBS, Tamiya 1/24 + 12. Romik505 1:24 Porsche 959 Paris-Dakar 1986 TIE
5th 24 points 2. MarcoSaupe Eagle Weslake, Spa '67 Winner, MFH 1/20
6th 20 points 14. capri-schorsch Tamiya Ferrari 312 T in 1/12 scale
7th 15 points 16. gtziaf Alpine A110 - Acropolis 1970 winner, Tamiya 1/24 conversion
8th 13 points 18. Helico 1/43 Mercedes Benz 300SLR
9th 9 points 27. m.boy Custom Version of Honda Super Cub, Scale 1:12
10th 7 points . iceracer1 BMW R75/5, Tamiya 1/6 + 3. LoveGT40 Lancia Lc2 Martini Racing, Tamiya 1/24 TIE
11th 6 points 23. Macio4ever ARTA NSX Tamiya 1/24
12th 4 points 25. Konkpetno Fujimi 1\24 Kpgc-10 gt-r
13th 3 points 6. FlhansenFerrari 412T2 Canadian GP 1995 winner Jean Alesi. 1:20 Model Factory Hiro + 13. NosferFiat 500f (1968) - 1/24, Tamiya + 17. 360spider Nissan Skyline 350GT, Fujimi 1/24 + 19. to-mek Yamaha YZR M1 '04, Tamiya 1/12 + 21. Mika2121 Jaguar E-type Le Mans 1962, 1/24 Heller
14th 2 points 9. Hawk312 `86 Trans Am, 1/25 scale, kitbash of the `85 Trans Am and `87 GTA Revell kits + 11. Wishieftrottle
Toyota Aristo - Max Orido, Aoshima 1/24 + 29. tanke999 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-SpecII R34, Tamiya 1/24
15th 1 point 30. crisjr Tamiya 370Z with Amuse Transkit

Everyone else got 0 points. But don't get discouraged - maybe you'll enter and win next time!

Now for the prizes. We are very fortunate to have two great members on AF that were generous enough to donate wonderful prizes this year. Tang and Steve provided the following prizes for the winners:

1st place - $300 US (unfortunately reduced to $288 after Paypal fees) to spend on anything at www.hiroboy.com (http://www.hiroboy.com*)

2nd place - 70 GBP to spend on Zero Paints at www.hiroboy.com (http://www.hiroboy.com*)

3rd place - 30 GBP to spend on Zero Paints at www.hiroboy.com (http://www.hiroboy.com*)

Also, winner of the contest is awarded a special banner that he could display as a signature on AF for the entire year.

Winners, please contact Tang (auw12) for future information regarding the prizes.

Congratulations to all winners and participants! thanks for making this year AFMOTY a success, and good luck next year!

Alex

ll Brandon ll
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Congrats guys! Pictures or links of the winners?

nugundam93
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Congrats guys! Pictures or links of the winners?

here you go: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1074895

auw12
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Sorry guys, I might haven't made this clear to Alex. All Top 3 have free shipping from Hiroboy, you don't have to pay anything and the prize breakdown is for purchasing goods only, you all get free shipping from Steve. And please PM me with your Hiroboy usernames that I can help Steve arrange the purchase, thanks guys!

SB, I'll send you a PM with the AFMOTY2011 Banner that you can put on your signature.

Well, another fantastic event thanks to all entrants and especially Alex who made this possible! Even with SB's museum level of work it was still a tough job to pick 3 from an MOTY selection, there could always be only one winner but it's you all who make the hobby alive and amazing. Congratulations to everyone and what a remarkable year of 2011!

Still, there's something that I have to say. The MOTY is gorgeous but a bit different from what I expected. As the tranditional yearly events of a possible biggest world wide model car community, having only 30 entries is a bit embarrassisng. I guess we have way more than that and many of them can be potential winners, come on guys what's up! We should've had hundreds of entries and split with different titles to make the MOTY more fair and precise, MOTY Road cars, MOTY Motorsports, MOTY Motercycles... I hope we can really sum up our modeling years better by rocking MOTY!

corvettekid_7684
02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Congrats to the winners!! Very hard to choose between all the entries, they were all fantastic builds!!
I myself didnt enter because I don't feel that mine are anywhere near as nice. I also don't have my pics hosted on a decent photo site...

deedlit
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Congratulations to the winners :bigthumb:

rallymaster
02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Prizes aren't a bad joke, wow !! :eek7:
winners must appreciate. :)

Sebastian.
02-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow! :) Thanks all )))))))))))))))))))))

Capri-Schorsch
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Wow,the best build i have ever seen has won!
There was no way past him.The porsche is awesome!

Congratulation all other winners.There are a lot of very good build in this competion.

But i agree with auw12.
There are so much builds here,but only 30 in the competion.
Why?

I want to say thanks to every one who voted for my ferrari!
Thanks guys!

Christian

eugene78
02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Thank you for congratulations, and many thanks to those who made AFMOTY possible! I'm really happy about the 2nd place - there was no way to compete with ScratchBuilt, of course. :thumbsup:

Congratulations to other winners!

rallymaster
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Wow,the best build i have ever seen has won!
There was no way past him.The porsche is awesome!

Congratulation all other winners.There are a lot of very good build in this competion.

But i agree with auw12.
There are so much builds here,but only 30 in the competion.
Why?

I want to say thanks to every one who voted for my ferrari!
Thanks guys!

Christian

I think (even if not ineviyably my opinion) that answer is in this year result, how would "comon" builds compete facing the kind of build the winning Porsche is ??
IMO the only way to encourage more competitors to enter is to create categories.
Competing to win shouldn't be the only aim but competing for nothing may not attract builders imagining they haven't even a single chance...
If entering is just to give credit to the contest in which the winners trust points with builds that are more than "building" a kit I can understand they don't enter if they simply built a kit.
I wouldn't care myself if I had something able to be part of the contest (shoudl finish something for that :loser:) to contest against such builds, but maybe some modelers feel not being on the same chances level with a "simple" build. :dunno: :screwy:

360spider
02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
AFMOTY is not necessarily about winning. Its a bout being part of the community. And to be honest, it is not necessarily a model contest at all. Its a popularity contest, based on just one photo. I personally have won it couple of times when I think I shouldn't have, as there were much better models in the lineup in those years - but... So, all in all, it is what it is. We'll think about all the suggestions and maybe "upgrade" AF MOTY for the next (this) year.

auw12
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I think (even if not ineviyably my opinion) that answer is in this year result, how would "comon" builds compete facing the kind of build the winning Porsche is ??
IMO the only way to encourage more competitors to enter is to create categories.
Competing to win shouldn't be the only aim but competing for nothing may not attract builders imagining they haven't even a single chance...
If entering is just to give credit to the contest in which the winners trust points with builds that are more than "building" a kit I can understand they don't enter if they simply built a kit.
I wouldn't care myself if I had something able to be part of the contest (shoudl finish something for that :loser:) to contest against such builds, but maybe some modelers feel not being on the same chances level with a "simple" build. :dunno: :screwy:

Phil, your words made complete sense but let's face the fact, look at this place, I reckon AF is the world's No.1 model car community, there're countless amazing builds everyday and I have to say the MOTY is way less heated than it should be. Where's the productive empire ZoomzoomMX-5? Where's tiking and Jochen's superb realism? Where's Scalemaster... you name it. MOTY to me is more like a party than a serious competition, if we hold this IRL we'll have bears and music rather than just a stupid voting box. So you just show your best of the year anyway and enjoy others'. We all like gathering right? But still, I strongly agree with you about categories, we should have had this earlier, at least by subjects like our subforums, but this will only work well when we have enough entries. So guys, don't just be a stander-by!

360spider
02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Fellas, let's keep this thread on topic please. We can always discuss suggestions for the future in a separate thread.

gionc
02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
AFMOTY is not necessarily about winning. Its a bout being part of the community. And to be honest, it is not necessarily a model contest at all. Its a popularity contest, based on just one photo.

I fully agree.

What's the point Phil: we ever got superstars n the MOTY: Phil (the "other" Phil :D), Alex and others...
I ever joint just for fun and pleasure knowing in advance that I didn't got chances: but IMHO, arriving second after Scratchbuilt is like 10 first prizes, exactly years ago behind Alex or Phil: great medicine for our ego...

I think different (Yes I know... I must pay royalties...) I think the whole AF currently suffers of a bit of lack of partecipation (interest/athmosphere/old stars less..)... and MOTY is just the "lamp"

BTW: congratulation, I see the usual museum choice.

Tang, bro, have you won the lottery?

gionc
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Fellas, let's keep this thread on topic please. We can always discuss suggestions for the future in a separate thread.

sorry... syncro....

lovegt40
02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
congratulations to SB and his incredible Porsche.Was really another cathegory build up.Think we all saw and voted it.It was not the classic wonderful hyper detailed box model cleanly build up by the skilled model.It was amazing in every picture,and I think is correct it is winner overall.

Also thank u all for all fellas voting for my Lancia,so happy of my result too ;) in a contest of THIS level.

Hope I can have something for next year edition,I'm sure I will .

ScratchBuilt
02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

Umm...thank you all very much! I'm genuinely surprised, and somewhat stunned by the very generous prize from Hiroboy - most unexpected. I must thank all the guys involved with organising the MOTY, and all the other entrants - especially eugene78 and Sebastian, of course.

I admit to being nervous about the 908 - it was certainly not my intention for it to dissuade others from entering and enjoying the competition. I think Tang and Alex got it right - it's an opportunity for the different areas of the forum to enjoy each other's work, rather than a quest for glory!

Another year, maybe more entries, maybe having different categories would be the way to go? Clearly that's a discussion for another time. Although there are clearly plenty of models being made, I can understand that not everyone necessarily wants to enter an organised competition - hey, this was my first time, too!

Once again, for all their hard work, thanks to 360spider, Hiroboy, MidMazar, auw12 and BVC500. Cheers!

Have a good week,

SB

rallymaster
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
AFMOTY is not necessarily about winning. Its a bout being part of the community. And to be honest, it is not necessarily a model contest at all. Its a popularity contest, based on just one photo. I personally have won it couple of times when I think I shouldn't have, as there were much better models in the lineup in those years - but... So, all in all, it is what it is. We'll think about all the suggestions and maybe "upgrade" AF MOTY for the next (this) year.

Phil, your words made complete sense but let's face the fact, look at this place, I reckon AF is the world's No.1 model car community, there're countless amazing builds everyday and I have to say the MOTY is way less heated than it should be. Where's the productive empire ZoomzoomMX-5? Where's tiking and Jochen's superb realism? Where's Scalemaster... you name it. MOTY to me is more like a party than a serious competition, if we hold this IRL we'll have bears and music rather than just a stupid voting box. So you just show your best of the year anyway and enjoy others'. We all like gathering right? But still, I strongly agree with you about categories, we should have had this earlier, at least by subjects like our subforums, but this will only work well when we have enough entries. So guys, don't just be a stander-by!

I agree with you, I know the spirit and sense of AFMOTY (= being part of the community), I know as Gio noticed it's also and probably mostly linked to AF and our modeling subsection activity in general, and I wasn't doing anything else than just trying to find an anwser to the question some asked, and if asking a question one have to try to get an answer.

But to clarify my opinion whereas thinking it can be an answer I don't really agree with the idea of changing AFMOTY rules or evoluting to a real contest, and I'm not sure we will have more participation with categories... But what I wanted to put under the light is that if we ask ourselves about how to get more entries we may consider the idea of evoluting to something and this something could be categories, but for sure it's not the spirit of AFMOTY and not what I'd like to see...

the only ones who could explain why they didn't enter although they had models built in 2011 are those concerned...

because one thing is sure, willing to win or not, it's not the prizes !!
I'm still surprises by the effort which for sure is awarded by the number of participants...
Quality was there, poor consolation !

that's what I wanted to say, and 360spider yes it's all ! :biggrin:

auw12
02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Tang, bro, have you won the lottery?

Axxhole~ I guarantee you the prize will be better if I did~ loooool~~~~ I know it's not a tiny donation but I love af, I hope that I can be helpful in some way, that's all. Congrats again SB, put your badge on soldier! lol~~~

gionc
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Axxhole~ I guarantee you the prize will be better if I did~ loooool~~~~ I know it's not a tiny donation but I love af, I hope that I can be helpful in some way, that's all. Congrats again SB, put your badge on soldier! lol~~~

Be aware: Tang's prize is not cash but italian debt in bond :-), winner please spend all sooooooon :D, we're next to crash :D
Lucky me, I invested any penny in models :D

ScratchBuilt
02-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Yessir! Badge fixed and worn with pride!

SB

chaos
02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Congrats to the winners and really all the others that entered - some excellent builds! Props to Hiroboy and Tang for their generosity!

auw12
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Be aware: Tang's prize is not cash but italian debt in bond :-), winner please spend all sooooooon :D, we're next to crash :D
Lucky me, I invested any penny in models :D

loooooooooooool we're both gonna be banned by Alex!!! BTW that badge suits you well SB~~lol

Marianitem
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Congrats to the winners, and all the modellers! I knew who the winner of this party would be as soon as he completed the project :tongue:
IŽll not repeat the same as the previous comments, only that I just enjoyed a lot having my model next to those great ones, and happy enough with all what I learnt in less than a year around this forum.

Helico
02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Congrats to the winners. In fact, congrats to all the participants who are winners in their own categories.

I like to think myself as a true winner in this contest in terms of SIZE. 13 points for a 1/43 vs 89 points for a 1/8. You do the math. :lol:

Jenner
02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Also from me congratulations to the winners.

... Still, there's something that I have to say. The MOTY is gorgeous but a bit different from what I expected. As the tranditional yearly events of a possible biggest world wide model car community, having only 30 entries is a bit embarrassisng. I guess we have way more than that and many of them can be potential winners, come on guys what's up! We should've had hundreds of entries and split with different titles to make the MOTY more fair and precise, MOTY Road cars, MOTY Motorsports, MOTY Motercycles... I hope we can really sum up our modeling years better by rocking MOTY!

What benefit more entries, if nobody interested for voting?

If I counted correctly, have only 57 members voted.

And that's still almost good. I've also seen competitions where there were more entries than voting.

modlman17
02-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Big congrats to Scratchbuilt and all of the winners. There were a lot of awesome builds but that 908 was like taking a gun to a knife fight. Extra big THANK YOU to Tang and Steve for the very generous prizes of the winners. In this economy, that's a lot of generosity to share! Just another example of modelers helping each other!

Rob

Hawk312
02-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Great job, and congtrats Scratchbuilt! Congrats to everyone else too....they all looked great!

MidMazar
02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Congrats to the winners. Also i would like to thank the people who entered and voted. You all make AF a great community. Watch out MOTY 2012!!

AFMOTY is not necessarily about winning. Its a bout being part of the community. And to be honest, it is not necessarily a model contest at all. Its a popularity contest, based on just one photo.

:iagree:

On another note with what alex stated. Changing the contest doesn't necessary mean more contestants or voters. With every year that passes we get users that come and go, with few that stuck around for a long time. So you can never judge if we'll have enough entries or even votes. Although we should discuss MOTY in another thread way before 2013 so we all can some what agree.

Congrats to all again!!!

BVC500
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Congratulations to the winners and everyone who submitted an entry!

klutz_100
02-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Well done to ALL the participants - it really was hard to chose only 3.

Special congrats though to the top three of course :) - well deserved recognition :thumbsup:

lemansnut
02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
As always, excellent models from everyone. Very difficult to choose. Congrats to the winners, very well deserved!

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!