Page updated on 11-19-2017

Question about clearcoat/Lacquer.

Shelby 427 1965
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone,
the way I've always done my models has been paint, clearcoat, decal. But I see everyone on here does it paint, decal, clearcoat.. I've always been afraid to do that in case the Lacquer reacts with the decals. Which way is best? Also, would it make a difference to paint, clearcoat, decal, then clearcoat again?
Thanks for your help! :)
-Tomo

corvettekid_7684
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Best thing is to test clear over a decal & make sure cuz you just never know. Also, is setting solution is used be sure it is fully dry, then wait some more to be extra sure. I prefer clear over decals because it hides edges & seals them in...

Marianitem
02-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Im always very scared to burn thru the clear and decals when polishing. A paintjob can be re-done, but that rubbed decal is dead. So I have never cleared over decals. Im still living with the edges on the decals :/

RonCla
02-06-2012, 08:05 PM
The easiest way to avoid any nasty surprises when clear coating over decals is to get some plastic spoons and paint them at the same time you are painting your body.

Then, when it comes time to apply the decals find a decal on the sheet that wont be used and apply it to your test spoon. Clear coat that spoon first and then if there is any reaction you will be aware of it before ruining all your work on the actual body.

corvettekid_7684
02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Good idea...you could probably also polish the spoon & decal to see how much it can handle before going thru...

RonCla
02-07-2012, 01:39 AM
.... and always clear coat in a warm environment as the cooler the temperature the longer it takes the solvent to flash off giving it that much more time to attack the decal.

I ensure the room is at least 20 degrees C before spraying.

Shelby 427 1965
02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)
-Tomo

Add your comment to this topic!