Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New actuator cost??

Tonyr
02-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi, my daughter has a 2003 Olds Alero and the auto door locks keep locking and then unlocking nonstop on their own. I took it to the shop and they said the actuator is bad. I guess it controls all four door locks. I was quoted $325 for the part and labor. Was wondering if this price sounded crazy because it sure does to me.

Tech II
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Shop? what kind of shop? GM or non-GM?

I don't have a wiring diagram, but it sounds like the BCM(body control module) that controls the actuators in each door....

Now it COULD be an actuator, if the "door ajar" switch is bad in the actuator....a bad switch would make the BCM "think" a door has been opened....this would cause it to "cycle" the actuators and also turn the interior lights on.....However, there are 4 of them......A GM scan tool can show if the Driver's door actuator is the problem, or it's one of the other three......you don't want to replace the wrong one.....

That price quoted is too low for replacing the BCM....did you already pay for the diagnosis, or is that included in the quote?

Tonyr
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
It is just a quote so far. It is not a GM dealership/shop. Just a shop I usually take my vehicles to for repairs. He treats me pretty good. He said it took a while to diagnose the problem for sure. I do know when the locks act up the headlights flash as well if the car isn't running at the time. I was at a car wash and the damn thing locked me out. I had to wait a few minutes so it would unlock to get back in. I guess I should have remembered to take the keys out with me.

Tonyr
02-10-2012, 04:41 PM
They replaced the driver side door actuator. $160 for part. Total of $302.50 including labor.

Add your comment to this topic!