Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmition my be shot!

scorpionking
02-04-2012, 05:37 PM
i will make this short...my engine blew (female driver with no oil)...so far a good junkyard engine was installed...the problem now is after we drove 40 miles, the car would not go into reverse...we stopped stopped driving…check dip stick...no transmission fluid at all...fluid all over the ground...did not drive once noticed...towed back to shop...he said possible burned gears...QUESTION, when installing a engine, is there any way to loose transmission fluid...these folks change engines all the time...i just want to gain some good knowledge on how to address issue...

FishFind
02-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Yes, first you have the cooler lines that to to the radiator and that has to be taken out to get engine in. Also the torque convert clutch goes up into the engine and is sealed where the transmission and the engine meet.

scorpionking
02-05-2012, 09:23 AM
but i thought where the tranny and engine meet did not hold transmission fluid...i thought the tranny fluid was actually in the tranny...for example, after removing the engine, you got the tranny still sitting there...if still sitting there, the tranny fluid was fine because of being internally in the transmission???

scorpionking
02-05-2012, 09:28 AM
also failed to mention, it’s an automatic

jdmccright
02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Correct, the space where the torque converter is does not hold fluid. It is all contained within the TC. Fluid can leak out between the tranny and TC, from the pan, or from loose tranny cooler fittings to/from the radiator.

Joe W
03-01-2012, 02:06 AM
IMHO I believe there is no correlation between the engine replacement and the trans failure, especially as you note there was tranny fluid was all over the ground. If you can locate the source of this leak you can localize the failure.

Add your comment to this topic!