leaking valve cover gasket

blkmonday
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
ok this is going to seem dumb. but im looking for some tips. i noticed my passenger side valve cover was leaking pretty bad on my full size dodge 6cyl van. i ordered up a set of gaskets (rubber ones). removed the valve cover and cleaned both surfaces clean. i layed a thin coat of black rtv to both the head and to the valve cover. layed the new gasket down and put the valve cover back on. heres the dumb part..i didnt know the torque for the valve covers and just sort of tightened by feel. started up and seemed not to leak. today i took it for a quick ride and it was blowing out so much oil i felt like an iddiot. mind you when i did the gasket change it was like 20 degrees outside and i was in a rush trying to beat the sunset.
anyways..round 2. im thinking i overtightened the gasket and it squeezed out of line. anyone know the torque and sequence to the valve covers or have any advice..other than not rushing it :uhoh:

alloro
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Torque is only like 10 ft. lbs. and sequence isn't critical, you simply start in the middle of each valve cover and crisscross your way to each end. Maybe you didn't tighten them enough, or something else is leaking the oil out...like the intake manifold.

DeltaP
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Adding the RTV to both sides was overkill. I'm sure that and some overtightening made them slide out of position.

Add your comment to this topic!