Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission leaking ?

jgriner
02-02-2012, 10:05 PM
98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

My transmission has been leaking for some time, I have always just topped it off. Last time I topped it off, it was just poring out. I believe it leaks somewhere from the bell housing. As far as i can tell the leak is the only problem. My biggest concern is that I bought a boat last year, and during the summer I pull it back and forth to the lake every other weekend.

Today I talked to a transmission guy, he says in my truck their is 3 different options for trans. He said it could run from 300-500 dollars to replace the seals, But the biggest problems is all the hidden problems that he might find.

He doesn't rebuild transmissions any more, but could do the seals for me, but he does install jasper transmissions.

What should, I do?

Does 300-500 dollars sounds like a normal starting point?

I had a horrible experince with my last truck with a local trans rebuild, but would think a factory rebuilt or jasper would be ok?

Chris Stewart
02-03-2012, 06:28 AM
If you're sure of the bell housing leak, ask your guy if he can replace the front pump bushing too.
I had a 1970 442 W-30 do this and that was the fix.

jamesslcx
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
jgriner, if the trans shifts good I would just have the leak fixed, and if not equipped with one I would add an aftermarket tranny cooler.

angus10
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Maybe you are over filling it. Are you checking the fluid level correctly? The overflow is in the bell housing. Check the fluid level with the engine running and trans in neutral.

Add your comment to this topic!