Clicking behind radio when starting - 95 Talon TSi

Sonic Eclipse
02-02-2012, 12:26 AM
I've got an automatic '95 Talon TSi AWD, with starting issues that just started today.

When I turn the key to start, the car kind of hesitates to start, or just doesn't want to. Sometimes while turning the key there is a clicking noise coming from behind the radio.

I think the noise might be coming from one of these black boxes in this pic. I know the relay on the far right is the starter relay, but I don't know what the other ones are. Problem is I can feel the clicking on all 3 of them, but I think I feel it most on the one in the middle to the left of the starter relay. What is that one for?

Also I don't feel the clicking coming from the ECU, and you don't hear the clicking on the outside of the car.

I also don't think its the starter relay because the car starts. Will the relay act this way when its on its way out?

I should also note this started after I accidentally touched the positive battery post when I was putting on a strut-bar.

The car is also equipped with aftermarket alarm/auto start system, but from what I can tell none of that is even connected to the battery.

Does anyone know what this problem could be? What is clicking and why?

steviek
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Most likely The battery is weak. Grab a good battery and try again. Ill bet that takes care of it.

steviek
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
The clicking is the failure of the starter motor trying to spin with not enough juice

Sonic Eclipse
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Problem solved.

Went to the junk yard and pulled a starter relay, and the car now starts up right away and the clicking is gone.

I must have fried the old relay when the strut bar touched the battery.

steviek
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
wow thats a weird one but I'm glad you found it!

Add your comment to this topic!