Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 grnad am whining noise

SRC1968
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
ok... hi all.

i KNOW the whinning is coming from the steering pump. Does that mean its going out? the wheels and the sterring turn fine... not hard to turn or anything. My daughter is getting this car tomorrow. and i want to make sure nothing is really wrong with the car. it has been sittin outside under deck for over 1 year. i had to pump up the tires, other then that... she started right over no prob. never had the whine before...

any thought?

oh one more thing... looked in the resevoir and looks fine... a little over 1/2 full.

GTP Dad
02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Make sure that the reservoir is at the proper level on the dipstick. Also I would check the belts and the idler pulleys. If the car has been sitting for a year the belt may have dried out and be causing some of the noise.

SRC1968
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Make sure that the reservoir is at the proper level on the dipstick. Also I would check the belts and the idler pulleys. If the car has been sitting for a year the belt may have dried out and be causing some of the noise.

and what do i do with the belt if it is dried out? do i spray it with something? not to smart about cars..

thx

DeltaP
02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
and what do i do with the belt if it is dried out? do i spray it with something? not to smart about cars..

thx
If the belt is dried out or shows any signs of.... just replace the belt. Alot of GM's p/ strg pumps whine when they get older. Like mentioned make sure the fluid is to the full mark then drive it, making alot of turns to bleed out the pump,then recheck the fluid. Make sure theres no leaks. But most important and if I was giving this car to my little girl I'd make sure those low pressured tires that were sitting for a year arent dried out with sidewall cracking. They'll fail soon if they are and ya dont need yer kid stranded or in an accident. I'd replace them... alot of peace of mind. Maybe ya dont know much about cars but I'm sure ya know alot about yer little girl. The belt and tires might be an expense but at least ya didnt have to buy her a car. JMHO

Add your comment to this topic!