Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier no start

sixwongs
01-31-2012, 02:26 PM

I am attempting to put a new fuel filter on.

Old filter rusted on, i am thinking of cutting off the nut to the filter.

Is this a good idea ?

Should I be watching for something ?

thanks

tempfixit
01-31-2012, 07:31 PM

I am attempting to put a new fuel filter on.

Old filter rusted on, i am thinking of cutting off the nut to the filter.

Is this a good idea ?

Should I be watching for something ?

thanks

Personally I would not cut on the gasline, sparks and gasoline do not mix. Have you tried penetrating oil, let it soak for a while then use a line wrench to loosen nut so it does not round the nut.

Do you have spark?? Does it run when you squirt carb cleaner into trottle body??

sixwongs
02-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Personally I would not cut on the gasline, sparks and gasoline do not mix. Have you tried penetrating oil, let it soak for a while then use a line wrench to loosen nut so it does not round the nut.

Do you have spark?? Does it run when you squirt carb cleaner into trottle body??

The car starts with a squirt of carb cleaner.

I don't know when the fuel filter was ever changed.

I will keep using the blaster and liquid wrench

thanks

tempfixit
02-01-2012, 09:54 AM
The car starts with a squirt of carb cleaner.

I don't know when the fuel filter was ever changed.

I will keep using the blaster and liquid wrench

thanks

Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge, should be 41-47 psi.

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition switch on??? It will stop after 2-5 seconds with the key in the on position without starting. IF not try banging on the tank with a rubber mallet or 2X4 to see if that will jar it loose , sometimes this works but fuel pump still needs to be replaced.

sixwongs
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I hear the fuel pump running.

I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. I do not have a gauge yet.

Where would you connect the gauge to check the pressure, never done this yet ?

I did get a new fuel filter on.

I did get the car to rev eith the gas pedal for 3 seconds after spraying the carb cleaner in.

Thanks for any ideas

Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge, should be 41-47 psi.

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition switch on??? It will stop after 2-5 seconds with the key in the on position without starting. IF not try banging on the tank with a rubber mallet or 2X4 to see if that will jar it loose , sometimes this works but fuel pump still needs to be replaced.

tempfixit
02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I hear the fuel pump running.

I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. I do not have a gauge yet.

Where would you connect the gauge to check the pressure, never done this yet ?

I did get a new fuel filter on.

I did get the car to rev eith the gas pedal for 3 seconds after spraying the carb cleaner in.

Thanks for any ideas

Here is a pic of what to connect the fuel pressure gauge to, it is on the fuel rail and looks like a tire stem valve.

Sounds like you have a fuel problem, if you have good fuel pressure then make sure the fuse for injectors is good and check for clicking on the injecters by using a screwdriver to injectter to see if it is cliking while cranking.

http://arrc.ebscohost.com/statics/gm/images/engif/000/000/180/180378.png

If you do not have a service manual sign up on autozone.com for the repair manuals or check you local library to see if the have ebscohost and if so you want to fin the Auto Repair Reference Center link for manuals

Add your comment to this topic!