Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can a front end collision affect wheel bearings?

ytlady82
01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
I own a '09 Chev Silverado (& carry an 80 gal tidy tank in the back--if this makes a difference) & hit a bull elk at a high rate of speed--right dead on in the front. Just received my truck back from the body shop this past Wednesday--put about 2400 km on it--& while on the same trip, a high-pitched whine started. It tends to get less in volume if I slow down to under 80 kph--however, it is annoying as heck! I pulled in to a service station after about 150 km--where there was no mechanic working--& then continued on my way home (another 300 km). When I pulled back out on to the highway, the noise quit. Is it possible that this is another reaction caused by my accident? (I'm actually thinking front wheel bearings--but can't get into a shop here right away.) Can I do more damage by continuing to drive it--because of course the body shop doesn't think it is their fault or responsibility? :headshake Any info would be appreciated! Thx--

Moppie
01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
A direct impact to the wheel can do damage to wheel bearings, it can also damage the wheel hub.

But it sounds like your problem is just coincidental.

Can you jack the front of the truck up?
That way you can spin each wheel and try and work out which one has the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!