Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Operating Temp

jamack1
01-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I was woundering if somebody had an answer to this problem. I have a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with a 2.2 motor.
The problem is the engine will not reach operating temp of 180 degrees. If I start the car and let it run in the driveway for about 20minutes it will get to about 170ish. As soon as I start driving it the temp. will fall back. If i continue to drive I can get the operating temp down to about 150ish per scan tool reading. I have replaced the themostat twice on fear of defective from the factory.
The associated problem that come with running the car at a cooler temp. is that the fuel MPG has dropped off.
About 3,000 miles ago I had to replace the coolant pipe that run from the head to the top rad hose. I replaced it with an OEM part, I believe this is when the problem started. Any ideas other that putting a piece of cardboard over the Rad would be a great help.

TheGeneralLee86
01-29-2012, 04:37 PM
I was woundering if somebody had an answer to this problem. I have a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with a 2.2 motor.
The problem is the engine will not reach operating temp of 180 degrees. If I start the car and let it run in the driveway for about 20minutes it will get to about 170ish. As soon as I start driving it the temp. will fall back. If i continue to drive I can get the operating temp down to about 150ish per scan tool reading. I have replaced the themostat twice on fear of defective from the factory.
The associated problem that come with running the car at a cooler temp. is that the fuel MPG has dropped off.
About 3,000 miles ago I had to replace the coolant pipe that run from the head to the top rad hose. I replaced it with an OEM part, I believe this is when the problem started. Any ideas other that putting a piece of cardboard over the Rad would be a great help.

I would try running it with radiator cap off and run it untill all the air bubbles come out because I am almost certain there is air in the system because you changed the hose, or did you already air out the coolant?

jamack1
01-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Thank you for your reply.
I have run this car in the driveway for about 2hrs., attempting to clear the air out of the system. Cap off no bubbles in tank just wasted time and gas.

e40water12
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
could have a problem with your thermostat. Your temp sending unit isn't work properly. Could have air in the system.

DeltaP
02-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Did you turn the heater on full hot when you burped it? The heater core will hold a good amount of air when you refill the system. These engines can be hard to bleed out. It helps to raise the front end of the vehicle too.

Add your comment to this topic!