is this catalytic flange savable?

harryhk
01-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Dear All:
I tried to change the intermediate pipe(resonator). I cut those bolts and removed the old one. Attached picture is the flange from the cat side. It seems that two of the three holes are broken. Is there any good idea to reuse this cat? The side view shows that if I cut the flange, there is not much space to install a adapter pipe with pipe clamp. Some one recommend welding, but I don't know how to do it. I tried Midaz. Those people seems don't like to do it.

If the only way to buy a new cat, I am curious that if some cheap but not original ones would fit ?

Thanks in advance ,
Kun

BullShifter
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
You should be able to use that. Put some hightemp silicone on it and some bolts with washers.

harryhk
01-29-2012, 09:53 PM
You should be able to use that. Put some hightemp silicone on it and some bolts with washers.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am going to try some very larger washers. Could you tell me where to put the silicone? Do you mean on the sealing place around the gasket? And why does silicone useful?

jeffcoslacker
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply. I am going to try some very larger washers. Could you tell me where to put the silicone? Do you mean on the sealing place around the gasket? And why does silicone useful?

The high temp copper sealer will help it seal in case the flange is not getting real even clamping all around....put it on both sides of the flange gasket...make sure you get the copper stuff or better, or you'll just set some sealer on fire :uhoh:

jeffcoslacker
01-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Now that I think about it...we used to get a type of two-piece flange from the parts store that allowed a good joint on damaged flanges like this....you might see if you can find something like that

harryhk
01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Now that I think about it...we used to get a type of two-piece flange from the parts store that allowed a good joint on damaged flanges like this....you might see if you can find something like that

Thanks. I looked it up and found :
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust-36130-Hardware-Flange-Repair-Kit/dp/B0015KUC84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327964946&sr=8-1

However, they seem for 2-bolt flange. Mine has 3 bolts. Have you seen a 3 bolt flange ?

BTW, how to find the size of a flange? The pipe is 2 in OD. Are flanges for the same pipe size all the same?

Thanks ,
Kun

Add your comment to this topic!