Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Burning Smell

BE Snowplowing
01-26-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a 2000 silverado 1500 4X4, with 290000km on it. I also have a 7.5 foot meyer snow plow attached to the front and about 1320 lbs in the back.

I have a burning smell comming from the front end. It smells like rubber burning, I have been all over that truck and can't figure out where it is coming from.

Yes the truck sits perfectly level, and I have turned up the torchen bars 3 and 1/2 turns on each side.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks
Brian

gmtech1
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
No oil leaks on or around the exhaust manifolds or on the exhaust pipe?

j cAT
01-27-2012, 08:30 AM
I have a 2000 silverado 1500 4X4, with 290000km on it. I also have a 7.5 foot meyer snow plow attached to the front and about 1320 lbs in the back.

I have a burning smell comming from the front end. It smells like rubber burning, I have been all over that truck and can't figure out where it is coming from.

Yes the truck sits perfectly level, and I have turned up the torchen bars 3 and 1/2 turns on each side.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks
Brian

check the ac belt. could be the ac idler or compressor pulley bearing is siezed.

BE Snowplowing
01-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the replies....

There are no oil and/or fluid leaks, and the belts seem to be fine.

This smell only occurs when I have the snowplow hooked up to the truck.

If the plow is off the truck it is fine. I know the plow weight is 750 to 800 pounds, I have about 1300 pounds in the back, the truck sits level.

I was just wondering if the plow is to heavy for the truck, but after checking with Meyer, that is the correct set up for that truck.

Still stumpped.
Thanks

j cAT
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the replies....

There are no oil and/or fluid leaks, and the belts seem to be fine.

This smell only occurs when I have the snowplow hooked up to the truck.

If the plow is off the truck it is fine. I know the plow weight is 750 to 800 pounds, I have about 1300 pounds in the back, the truck sits level.

I was just wondering if the plow is to heavy for the truck, but after checking with Meyer, that is the correct set up for that truck.

Still stumpped.
Thanks

when using the plow how is the plow worked ? this goes back to the belt on the engine which supplies power to operate the plow.

new belt and if necessary pulley tensioner. any cracks with your plow issue is a bad belt.

oem 105/130 amp alternator or did you change to higher amps one then the belt may be the wrong size.

FishFind
01-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah see if you have the smell if you dont hook up the electric for the plow. could be a shorting wire as well burning the rubber sheath around a wire.

BE Snowplowing
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah see if you have the smell if you dont hook up the electric for the plow. could be a shorting wire as well burning the rubber sheath around a wire.

Sorry I think I might be confusing everyone.

I only have the burning smell when I am driving the truck with the plow attached to the truck, not when I am actually plowing with the truck.

I did however try disconnecting all the power to the plow and then went for a drive, and when I pulled into the shop, I could smell the burning rubber.

I waited a few hours hooked up the power for the plow and went for a drive, when I pulled into the shop, I could smell the burning rubber.

I took the plow off the truck completely (including all electrical- pump, lights etc.) went for a drive to pick up 1300 pounds of salt, pulled into the shop. NO SMELL.

I was thinking, that something might be binding with the weight of the plow, I checked the tires to see if they were rubbing anywhere but there fine, so stumpped again

Thanks

j cAT
01-28-2012, 08:46 AM
check the cv boots for issues. the correct height for vehicle is when these cv axles are straight with each other . could be if at a good sized angle rubbing. possible the hub bearing is shot and is heating up with the larger load. these hub bearings are a common problem.

Add your comment to this topic!